Class IV boating? - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-10-2011   #1

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Class IV boating?

I'm stuck somewhere between gore and Shoshone and was wondering if any class IV stuff was running? Gore is to big and Shoshone gets old after 3 times a day per weekend. Any suggestions would be great.

Peelsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2011   #2

Basalt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
hey that is exactly where i am sitting right now as well. got on the lower part of barrel last week. it was short but fun, defiantly spiced shoshone up a little bit.
one legged wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011   #3

Near water (hopefully), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Apple Sauce can be walked. Gore has a class IV+ sneak and can be walked. Scissors and Pyrite are awesome class IV+ rapids, and can be walked. Tunnel can be walked. Toilet bowl has a class IV sneak. Kirshbaum is V-, and just pure awesome, I think it can be walked.

You can have a class IV day in Gore, and it will make you a better boater.
smauk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2011   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Agree wholeheartedly with smauk2.

You can walk a bunch of stuff in there and a much better adventure than Shoshone. Although the walk at Kirschbaum's would suck. Seems like swims in there end in pinned boats and bruised egos for sure, but on the easy end of a Class V rapid.

Just go in with some people that you trust and have fun.
stubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011   #5

Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
Might as well not go if your gonna walk everything.

Don't sandbag the sneak. . . I've seen it be the source of many beatdowns ending in pins down the right mank channel.

Your right about Kbomb. Love that rapid. Lines up so nice!!

KP

Quote:
Originally Posted by smauk2 View Post
Apple Sauce can be walked. Gore has a class IV+ sneak and can be walked. Scissors and Pyrite are awesome class IV+ rapids, and can be walked. Tunnel can be walked. Toilet bowl has a class IV sneak. Kirshbaum is V-, and just pure awesome, I think it can be walked.

You can have a class IV day in Gore, and it will make you a better boater.
Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011   #6

aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1957
dont bother with Gore..may as well not go if you walk it all. Frying pan river at Basalt is running...good tech Class IV-..
ducksrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011   #7

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
May not be what yer looking for, but #4 thru #7 on the Ark goes nicely at current flows of 175ish. Good technical lines can lead to a fluid run. I'd call a lot of it 4- without any push. The slot/drop at 5 is manky and you want to be hard left for the first part of 6. Someone who knows the lines helps... I paddle it 2 or 3 times a week, let me know if you want.

I'm willing to take boat assisted hikes but that much walking in Gore seems like the accent goes on hike too much to be worth it.
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011   #8
gOtTaGokAyAkn'

Ashville North Carolina, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Gore is beautiful. It's mostly flat water with good wildlife viewing. It's easy to turn it into a class four run. Applesause has a pool above and below. It's easy to look at Gore, Sissors, and Pyrite. Tunnel has changed for the flusher, It has not held anybody all fall. Toilet bowl can be scouted and portaged. Kirshbaum has a fishermans trail to scout or portage. If you love the outdoors and have no complaints about shouldering your boat for short technical walks; You will have a fun class 4 day with the oppertunity to step it up, or you can decide for yourself to not go back.
Old 10-11-2011   #9

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
If you haven't run numbers at low water, I'd give that a go next. Then give it a try in your playboat. If that feels good, I'd do Barrel next. It's easy to escape or walk any part of it, so it's easier on your stress levels. If you ace Barrel then I would head to Gore promptly. This was my progession and I thought it was fun, low stress and still rapid improvement.

I would agree with all Gore comments, if you are willing to walk alot then head on over.
eklars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011   #10

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
the dude said not gore and you people are telling him to go for it. if you are looking for 4 i wouldnt go to gore. plain and simple. i would give gore class 5 consequences if you fuck up you could flush as we almost say last year, plus the new ropes in the river. everybody needs to screw there heads down and realize we just had the worst year of years and its time to get smart.. enoughs enough. if you are going to walk most rapids you shouldnt be there. thats a horrible way to go into a canyon. instead of walking however many rapids think of how many more eddies, ferries, peel outs and attainments you could work on a a sweet class3.. dont listen to some of these buzzards for whom they just started running class 5 as well..
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class iv