A buddy of mine and I are taking the third week of June off to drive around and do some boating, and we're looking for some ideas of good runs to hit. We live in Fort Collins so we boat the poudre a lot - we want to hit some other rivers and change it up a bit.
A couple of caveats:
- We're looking for class III or IV
- We want to boat every day if possible, so we need to figure out a route where the rivers aren't too far apart
- No multi-day (as in we don't want to carry camping gear in our boats, but spending multiple days doing different sections of the same river are fine)
- Not too tough of a shuttle. We're bringing one car and a bike, so the shuttle needs to be something we can either hitchhike or bike.
- We've only got a week, so we don't want to go too far. We want to boat, not drive.
We did a similar trip last year and some of my favorite runs we did were the Dumont to Idaho Springs section of Clear Creek, pretty much everything on the Ark (browns was kind of meh), and the Redbridge to Gateway section of the Lake Fork of the Gunny. Anyone have any recommendations for similar runs we should be sure to hit?
One river we've both wanted to do for a while is the Piedra, but the shuttle sounds like a pain. Any thoughts on that?
I should mention we're kayaking, in playboats (although we pretty much suck at playboating, we try).