CKS Web Marketing and Web Development Internship - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 03-05-2008   #1

CKS Web Marketing and Web Development Internship

CKS Jobs Page: Employment

CKS Web Marketing and Web Development Internship

Background: Colorado Kayak Supply (CKS) is a leading e-commerce and retail paddle sports specialty store located in Buena Vista, Colorado. We have a well-developed web, events and print marketing infrastructure. This internship will principally focus on assisting in the development of CKS’s websites and online marketing channels. The selected intern can expect to learn to learn and acquire new skills, while also having the opportunity to take a leadership role with the direction and implementation of some of the assigned projects.

Duties:

1. Content management and development on the main CKS website.

2. Content management and development of a new WordPress blogging site.

3. Management and upkeep out our Amazon.com store, as well as significant initial development.

4. Keyword and Keyphrase campaign development, maintenance and management.

5. Initial establishment and development of new social networking sites i.e. MySpace and Facebook.

6. Graphics and photo work to create media pieces such as banner ads.

7. Video development for various short projects.

8. Assisting with the development and follow through of various marketing campaigns as assigned.

9. Working with design and development teams to support overall marketing efforts.

10. Researching issues and new marketing channels and assisting senior staff as necessary.

Qualifications:

1. Bachelors degree or equivalent experience in marketing, web development, graphic design or similar.

2. Familiarity with social media (MySpace, YouTube, Facebook), social browsing and bookmarking a huge plus (Digg, Reddit, NowPublic, etc).

3. Some level experience with Dreamweaver, Photoshop, In Design, HTML, XHTML and Final Cut Pro, or at least several of these programs.

4. Total web browsing proficiency, good research skills and the ability to find anything online.

5. Excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to work independently or as a member of a group.

6. Interest in whitewater kayaking or paddle sports- Ideal candidate is an actual participant.

Compensation:

-Monthly stipend of $1,000/mo (30 hrs work/week) and access to industry pricing and discounts on all paddle gear, a great working environment and the opportunity to work with and learn from one of the most advanced e-commerce businesses in their industry.

-The location of this position is also a huge perk. There are 100 miles of whitewater surrounding the shop and the highest concentration of 14,000 foot peaks in the country is right out the back door. Additionally, both the towns of Salida and Buena Vista offer a great atmosphere, incredible whitewater parks and affordable living.

Many interns from years past have stayed on as full time CKS staff members and now can call Chaffee County Colorado their home.

Meng is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2008   #2

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Just curious, can you really live in Chaffee county on $12K/yr, plus pay off the loan for your college degree?

But like you say, it's a great place to live and be broke. Years ago, I lived in a cabin up by Maysville with elec. but no running water and it was one of the funnest times of my life.
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #3

Quote: "Just curious, can you really live in Chaffee county on $12K/yr, plus pay off the loan for your college degree? "

RW - I dont know! Wanna try?

lol

The internship is for 2 - 3 months, so long term 'living' shouldn't really be an issue.

I did a totally unpaid intenship in environmental policy in DC for 3 months, 40 hrs/week. Comparatively, $1,000/mo at 30hrs/week for an internship seems pretty good to me.

But yeah, I hear ya....
Meng is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2008   #4

Edwards, Colorado
Meng,

If you guys don't get anyone to fill this post or are looking to contract out some of the work remotely, I might be interested in picking up some side work.

I couldn't give you 30 hours/week because I am currently working 32 hours/week at my current tech job here in Avon but could bring about 10 years of eCommerce/Web industry experience and two engineering degrees (Chemical Engineering and Software Engineering) to the table, as well as a passion for boating. Yes I am tooting my own horn here...or you could think of it as a mini resume.

We can worry about rates and what not later (I'd even consider working for the $8.33 an hour that you are offering the intern) but I'd love to help out if for no other reason then to help out what I think is a great site and great shop. The access to some shop form deals would also be nice...ya gotta love reduced price gear.

Drop me a PM if you all are interested and good luck filling the position.
outdoormikeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #5

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhyman View Post
Just curious, can you really live in Chaffee county on $12K/yr, plus pay off the loan for your college degree?

But like you say, it's a great place to live and be broke. Years ago, I lived in a cabin up by Maysville with elec. but no running water and it was one of the funnest times of my life.
Nope, unless you are camping out during that time.

Good luck on filling the position, and I do mean that sincerely, but to get an 'intern', one is usually looking for someone still in school. With a BS degree, I am sure they will be looking for greener pastures. Unless, of course, if they have just graduated and are looking to goof off for a summer. I did that, but I did it up in Alaska.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #6

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoormikeg View Post
Meng,
We can worry about rates and what not later (I'd even consider working for the $8.33 an hour that you are offering the intern) but I'd love to help out if for no other reason then to help out what I think is a great site and great shop. The access to some shop form deals would also be nice...ya gotta love reduced price gear.
$1000/(4.34 weeks per month*30 hours a week)=$7.68
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008   #7

Edwards, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by raftus View Post
$1000/(4.34 weeks per month*30 hours a week)=$7.68
Yeah I was assuming 4 weeks per month...contractors are always looking for ways to bump their billing rate.
outdoormikeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhyman View Post

Just to let you know, it is very possible to live in Chaffee county and live comfortably with 12K a year. I live on about that, have payments similar to school paymentys and live just fine. It really comes down to your definition of living and your need for money. I even take off 3 months a year. Live simply! Its all about the quality of life here in Chaffee county. Being able to walk to the hole before and after work and ride the best powder all winter long makes up for a lack of money. Its a lifestyle, not a hobby? So yes, move to BV and work for CKS, you will not regret it, haha.
MikeDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008   #9

Wow. Wish I hadn't taken an actual job as an Internet Marketing Affiliate Manager. Sounds like the perfect opportunity for someone interested in learning all aspects of e-commerce and internet marketing. Plus $1000 a month for only 120 hours of work is awesome!! Leaves the candidate ample opportunity to get a second job and/or spend more time on the water.

Way to go CKS. It's awesome that you are grooming business professionals for the outdoor industry.

Regards,
Moriya
Gypsyblogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008   #10

I did my internship for $50 a month plus paid tuition on top of that. Did it for 6 months to complete my degree. It did lead to a full time year round job in Therapeutic Recreation which lasted 10 years. So my low paying internship was super valuable
BOEC : Welcome to the BOEC
www.boec.org
bvwp1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark