City of Golden Clear Creek Master Plan - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-13-2010   #1

Golden, Colorado
City of Golden Clear Creek Master Plan

City of Golden Clear Creek Corridor Master Plan - Please join us Thursday, April 29th, 3 PM to 5:00 PM at the Golden Community Center (1470 10th Street, Golden).
This meeting will be an opportunity for City of Golden stakeholders to provide your vision for the future of the Clear Creek corridor, which includes the kayak course.
Pease RSVP Amber Speedy [email protected]

The City of Golden, Colorado has retained a consultant team to develop and prepare a Master Plan for the Clear Creek Corridor to create a unified park experience along Clear Creek through downtown Golden. The Clear Creek Corridor project areaincorporates Lions, History, Parfet and Vanover Parks, and the areas between these parks along the creek. The Clear Creek Corridor should seamlessly mesh with adjacent and complementary land uses in the area, providing residents with a truly unique mulit-use area in which to recreate, shop and work; one that promotes synergy with the downtown environment and surrounding neighborhoods.

The primary purpose of the Clear Creek Corridor Master Plan is to create a plan that will provide direction to City staff, the Parks and Recreation Advisory Board and Golden City Council for future development, re-development, and enhancement of the health and vibrancy of the Clear Creek Corridor and the City of Golden.

pburkholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2010   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
How far up the creek does the plan cover? Reworking the diversion dam structure about 2-3 miles upstream from golden to make it easily runnable for kayaks and less dangerous would be a great part of the plan. The dilapidated and dangerous dam could be turned into a classic play wave.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010   #3

I actually like the lower CC dam drop, and would prefer to not put boater dollars into that sort of project (since the dam is by all means completely runnable (V-)... and trust me, quite surfable and cartwheel worthy at times). It may be an inconvenience for some, but I think it would be a waste of time and money relative to some of the other projects that we could make happen. That said, the management plan should definitely keep the river navigable from above the dam all the way to the park.

I was at Golden the other day, and the bleacher hole changes look very improved. Some of the other minor changes looked okay. For the master plan, I would really like to see the park develop at least ONE intermediate or advanced sized feature to allow for better freestyle kayaking. In the late 90's the park was amazingly good (cartwheels in 7'6 boats), and over the last decade it has gradually declined into a completely beginner and overly innertube infested park. It's a great place for teaching beginners, but I don't think I have consistently frequented the park in the last 4 years because the features are lame for anything other than low angle cartwheels for the most part. It would be an even better place for beginners if the features attracted more experts to share the same eddy. Basically Golden is toted as the prized park of the front range and I have had way better freestyle sessions in the dirty Union and Confluence. Lawson has a hole that throws big loops, and thus allows for many variations of aerial hole manuevers. Golden has inner tubes and 6" deep features that are flushy and have shallow eddies.

The management plan should restore the park to it's whitewater freestyle glory days. After all, it was originally designed to be a whitewater park, so please provide more whitewater.
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2010   #4

West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
I am with deepsouthpaddler on the damn dam. Kyle you can have your V right up stream. The dam is not natural and has dangerous metal in it, if I remember right. Plus, fixed it would serve a lot more boaters then a few class V paddlers.

Even thou I really don't care about freestyle, rodeo or whatever you call it, it would be nice to have a big feature for advance play boaters. I would also like to see more boulders added to make the overall feel more continuous class III , but it should also have a beginners area for people to learn and for tubers.

I wish Boulder would do improvements to the upper end of their park too.
Old 04-15-2010   #5

Golden, Colorado
Please note this is a master plan for the entire coridor - not a redesign of the course - but rather the area outside of the course (on land). All the comments are good and the city wants to hear options for improving the in-river options, but again this is a master plan for the creek corridor.

The extent of the plan is from approximately the Hwy 6 bridge to Vanover Park. Well down river of the dam.
pburkholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010   #6

Lakewood, Colorado
Even though we've established that this wouldn't cover the dam, I would also like to see it removed. Manmade messes like this are just nasty and it's really out of character with the rest of that section. I wonder if there would be a market for commercial rafting on that stretch if the dam weren't there?
mjpowhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010   #7

Arvada, 80003
Paddling Since: 2002
I have to support Cutch here. To use that kind of money on the dam is an absolute waste! it is not that hard to make a small portage around the dam. But the bigger point here is that the park as a whole (as far as kayaking goes) is in desperate need of up dating. Freestyle is advancing rapidly and the park is so so far behind. There isn't even a feature to loop in! The situation there is beyond ridiculous.

All of that aside we must consider how we are going to convince the City of Golden (local politicians) to spend more money on the river. The city of Golden would not make an extra dime if they removed the dam.

The community makes money on the people from out of town who come to boat in Colorado drive out of their way, and spend money in the communities that have quality freestyle features. As we know these communities make a great deal of money off of quality features (even the small isolated communities). I do not believe you are going to attract more people to the city of Golden by removing the dam. The dam is not where the few and precious dollars that the community is willing to spend on the river should go.
Old 04-15-2010   #8

Lakewood, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKid View Post
The city of Golden would not make an extra dime if they removed the dam.
Unless it brought in some commercial rafters? It would seem to me that a quick trip down LCC for $30-$40+ would sell really well in Golden; it definitely does on the Lawson run. Add in a small rafter's tax and you have a pretty good income stream from May-July. Could be a good county thing too.
mjpowhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010   #9

Arvada, 80003
Paddling Since: 2002
They would have to make other modification on different parts of that section in order to commercially raft there. For example the tree growing sideways across the river, and at the bottom of tunnel one where the river splits the the river right channel is pretty tight for a raft, and at most flows the left channel is to shallow.
Old 04-15-2010   #10

I wonder if it would really cost a bunch to "fix" the broken dam.... Would a simple boat chute, just wide enough for a raft, really cost a bunch? I'm not talking re-do the whole thing. just a narrow channel through the mank somewhere. There are several of these below the royal gorge and some make nice surf waves as well.
jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote