Chocolate labs - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-16-2004   #1

Chocolate labs

I have a femal chocolate lab, and am looking for a male to get busy with her- I am looking for purebred male chocolate labs for her. email me at [email protected] if your intrested- btw- I'm In louisville.
Thanks!!

4agzemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2004   #2

I'm pretty sure the way the genes work you won't end up with only chocolate pups.

Also, you realize new born pups are a lot of work. You want to keep them clean, which is quite a bit of effort.
cstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004   #3

ski/kayak bum
if you find a stud and it all works out, i'd be interested in purchasing a pup after however many months the whole process takes. please email me at [email protected]

btw: by breeding two chocolates you can end up with all three colors. the color of lab that you breed with is important but not in the ways you might expect. please check out lab breeding sites to find out more info on the resulting pups. no matter what you try, you wont end up with an entire litter of one color.

aaron
double-a-ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2004   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by double-a-ron

btwno matter what you try, you wont end up with an entire litter of one color.

aaron
labs, one of my favorite topics...

You *can* know that the litter will be only one color, but it depends on the genetics of the parents, which usually isn't known until they've had multiple litters. I used to use lab coat color as a genetics problem in a biology class I taught.

First set of genes determines if the dog is dark (black or choc; dominant) or light (yellow; recessive). If it is a dark dog, the second set of genes will determine whether it is black (dominant) or chocolate (recessive). If the dog is determined yellow by the first set of genes, the second doesn't come into play on what color it is, but is important for what it can pass onto offspring.

A great site to explain it is at: http://www.blueknightlabs.com/color/coatcolor.html ...you can actually simulate different genetic matings and see what the results will be (statistically at least). Of course all breeders know that when you really want a litter half yellow, half black, they'll all come out black! If you do the choc x choc simulations on this website, you'll see that in all possible combinations, you'll end up with a litter of entirely or mostly chocolate pups, so that's a good plan if you want chocolate pups. And it is impossible to get a black pup out of two chocolate parents... that would be like getting a brown-eyed baby out of two blue-eyed parents - impossible unless the mailman is involved. For me, picking a good temperment match in a stud would be way more important than coat color.

I'm always amused when people claim that "yellows are mellower," "chocolates are dumber," etc.! It's just hair color! There's no evidence that coat color is in any way linked to smartness or personality...

One last thing, before purchasing a purebred lab, ask to see certificates of hip dysplasia screening for both parents (involves x-raying hips and evaluation by a orthopedic vet). Elbow screening is good too.
mountainbuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004   #5

Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
so... that theory being said

if I breed a a WaveSport boat with a Riot boat on one side, then a WaveSport boat and a Dagger boat on the other side... then breed them together..

Will it make a Wiot Wagger?

mvhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004   #6

ski/kayak bum
thanks for the educated response.

aaron
double-a-ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004   #7

I have a chocolate lab that is oustanding. He is a pure bred, a great river dog and bird dog. His nose is unbelievable. He comes from good lines and everyone that meets him, falls for him. He is a big dog, 90 lbs with a blocky head and five years old. I have been looking for a female to mate with him. I am not a serious breeder, just want to see my hound get lucky. let me know if you would like to talk more.
happytrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainbuns
you can actually simulate different genetic matings and see what the results will be
Come on now, lets keep the buzz clean. We don't need any breeding simulations....
jeffro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Of the half dozen chocolates I have known half of them had serious eating disorders. As in if allowed access they would tear open and eat the whole bag, or really anything available to them. Is this common to the breed or did I just meet some exceptional (read short bus) specimens?
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote