china rafts has anyone bought one - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-27-2009   #1

basehor, Kansas
Paddling Since: 1982
china rafts has anyone bought one

Hay anyone out there ever bought a PVC or Hypalon raft direct from china? I am thinking of buying one from Noah Yacht co. in china. Good idea or bad only $480 USD and about $250 for shipping. It seems like a good deal anyone have an opinion on this one please help.

bretthaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2009   #2

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Since you asked, Yes, I have an opinion. Buy local. There are so great boats made in Idaho and Colorado.
F#@k China.
Old 10-27-2009   #3

Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
You get what you pay for......
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2009   #4

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Sounds like self-destruction at class II!
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009   #5

basehor, Kansas
so what do you get if you pay so much for a hypalon raft, I found them for 1500 and less? if you say by local then why are they buying from the same guys in Korea or china. there are no real local there is just imports why not cut out the middle man other than the warranty but for the price you can buy one every year for 4yrs and still have money left over.
Old 10-27-2009   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Well, what are the stats? What denier are the floor and tubes? How many chambers and what type of valves? Where are the valves located on the boat? How is the boat assembled? You need to see if you are comparing apples to apples.
Old 10-27-2009   #7

basehor, Kansas
yes they are apples to apples cold hand glued same diameter tubes and baffles, removable thwarts, exterior valves, 1100 denier floor and tubes, front and rear handles and 12 exterior D-rings the only thing they dont include but can add is the quick drains. They do warranty the seams and boat too but I would have to ship back that is a down fall. so what about a NRS mexico built raft is worth 5k or more? I really dont know and the hole local thing to me is not worth 3500. can someone tell me?
Old 10-27-2009   #8

basehor, Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhyman View Post
Since you asked, Yes, I have an opinion. Buy local. There are so great boats made in Idaho and Colorado.
F#@k China.
so where are all the rafts made Korea, china, or mexico ( Home of all NRS made rafts) If there is a local I might consider I am an american boy born and bread....
Old 10-27-2009   #9

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by bretthaynes View Post
so where are all the rafts made Korea, china, or mexico ( Home of all NRS made rafts) If there is a local I might consider I am an american boy born and bread....
u sure speak american... i bet you have a purdy mouth too.
Old 10-27-2009   #10

Buena Vista, Colorado
Local would be Sotar and Jack's Plastic. 1100 is for light weight rafts that usually see just fishing duty on flat rivers or relatively easy white water. 1680 tubes and 2520 floor is much more resilient to rock abuse in the tougher whitewater. To offer a boat so cheap, they are either using slave kids to assemble, cutting costs elsewhere or a combination of both. Go ahead and buy it if you want, just don't be surprised if it falls apart in short order. I have heard of people destroying the cheaper boats in just one season. I know I will get 20+ years out of my Hyside and if I sell it, I will be able to sell it for close to what I paid for it as long as I keep it in good shape. Either way I will get my monies worth with many hundreds of class IV and V boating miles.

If you are just boating flatland Kansas, it does not matter if your raft implodes on the river. Not the sort of scenario one wants when rafting Gore!