Mountain Buzz banner

Chicken raper

4K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  WhiteLightning 
#1 ·
I am wondering just how hard (rafting) Chicken raper rapid on the Dolores Gateway section is at a standard flow. Thx

One of the coolest rapid names

#2 ·
I've only run it once at about 1800 and we had about six rafts and they all made the run without incident. From what I've been told, the Chicken Raper name applies to the left side channel which has some fence and/or rebar in it, while the other side is the more logical run. You shouldn't have a problem scouting, I would think that at these flows you'd probably opt for the more chicken friendly run.

#4 ·
Stateline Rapid, aka Chicken Raper

I personally have not ran the Gateway section through Chicken Raper, but have seen many pictures of it and have talked to many people who have run it. Previous post is right, the left side of the rapid is very bad news. The crux is running right through a series of braided channels. The moves seem pretty straight forward and if I remember it looked like you just need to stay right at the braids. There is also a posssibly dangerous diversion dam or river right as you move through the braids. The scout is river right and is easily scoutable and hard to miss. I'm looking at running this section soon as flows get a little higher. From what I understand this section is mostly wide and flat and needs a fair amount of flow to not scrap your boat the whole way. Probably atleast 900-1200 at the Colorado confluence gauge. Hope this helps, maybe see you out there.

Dan R

#10 ·
shure the left is more diff!

but dang, who can go that far in flat water without trying the left side, tight with big drops. the next like 30 miles is flat water.. so you get a lot of time to pick up the pecies... once you clean the right, it just leaves you wanting more, and you can't easily carry your gear boat back ut to run the left... so you choose.. but don't do something you will regret...
One of the coolest rapid names[/quote]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.