Cherry Creek (Denver) - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-10-2005   #1

Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
Cherry Creek (Denver)

Holy Smokes - Cherry Creek is thumpin! Does anyone have a gauge or know what is a good level to hit it?

Hell - what's the beta on it, and should I even waste my time?

Jeff

paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2005   #2

Arvada, 80003
Paddling Since: 2002
The water level has to be above the little foot bridges that cross the river. Otherwise they will closline you, and you will get messed up!!
TheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005   #3

Local, Colorado
Yes, I saw those suckers. I can't believe they're allowed to put bridges that low across a waterway. Do you know what level makes it a go?

Is there a gauge or is it visual?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2005   #4

Arvada, 80003
I'm thinking it is visual. I know some dudes that have run it. But i have no idea at what level they did it at.
TheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005   #5

There are 2 guages on USGS one below Cherry Crk. Res for the dam and one at confluence.,but its mostly visual since the flow increases radically from street run off.I have run from Elmira street bike path access to Cherry crk mall ,the first low bridge is just past Steele St..This eastern part has less water but more drops including 3 class 3 falls one is maybe 3+they're straight forward but a flip would be ugly ,cheesegraters.there's abunch of 2 to3- drops not many real eddies and probably new wood.SCOUT THE FIRST /BEST FALLS a couple hundred yards below put init tends to collect wood but has multiple lines,i try to keep it clean most of the time.YOU need at an absolute minimum of 200 cfs to run the falls.Then there is " Cadillac Wave" by speer and Broadway and someone on a previous post claimed the final drop at Confluence was the best playspot in the state at very high ,depending on the position of the gate.
cayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005   #6

Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
I ran it this past year at about 1000 cfs. The water was above the foot bridges but barely and we portaged them. We put on about 1/2 mile below Colorado Blvd., paddled to the confluence with the Platte and it was fun but a lot of portages. I found some good play all over the place but the best play was in the last mile or so.
jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005   #7

Eagle County, Colorado
Jeff, you can't put in at the coin fountain at the mall just because you moved to Denver.

Hey, check out this post:

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/viewtopi...t=6276&start=0
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005   #8

Local, Colorado
Dave -
I was practicing my roll in the penny fountain in front of Lord & Taylor yesterday - you would have been proud!

Cherry Creek was going really well last night, but the water was pillowing up on the footbridges and you can't eddie out before it. Very scary.

We should tube it!
Old 10-12-2005   #9

hey Johnny Water,
Isn't there a barbed wire fence under the University brige,did the elitist snobs at the counrty club hassle you,are there drops in the country club??
hey white lightening,
you think thats good the year before it got up to 2050 cfs at confluence,the platte was 7000!Even the sorry 2-3 run out east was 600-800ish pushy class 3 with wood to deal with instead of bridges.
A boulder about 1/2 the size of a volkswagon placed above the low bridges on the bike path side would be nice.
Old 10-12-2005   #10

hey Johnny Water,
Isn't there a barbed wire fence under the University brige,did the elitist snobs at the counrty club hassle you,are there drops in the country club??
hey white lightening,
you think thats good the year before it got up to 2050 cfs at confluence,the platte was 7000!Even the sorry 2-3 run out east was 600-800ish pushy class 3 with wood to deal with instead of bridges.
A boulder about 1/2 the size of a volkswagon placed above the low bridges on the bike path side would be nice.