Cheeseman difficulty - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-17-2009   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Cheeseman difficulty

Hey guys and gals -

So I've read and heard conflicting things about Cheeseman Canyon.
I'm pretty sure I understand that it's a mank-fest at low water with lots of sieves and all kinds of things to go wrong IF you screw up.
What I'm trying to determine is -- how likely is a screw-up.
Who can talk about the actual difficulty of the boating?
Compare it to Black Rock (at med flows), Gore at 1,450 and Bailey at low water. How difficult are the moves compared to the difficulty of those other runs?
Also, if you were a crew with no guide, is it practical to get out and scout every time you can't see the whole rapid? Do you look at everything, or would that just take too damn long and make this a two-day affair?
Also, how is the speed at low water, and how easy is it to grab an eddy every time you want an eddy?

Thanks a bunch for any info --

-Mike

Id725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2009   #2

Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
Never run it. I'm not solid class V. Gary Edgeworth calls it one of the most serious runs around. I can't think of any other run in the state where I would want a good guide. Nuff said. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Id725 View Post
Hey guys and gals -

So I've read and heard conflicting things about Cheeseman Canyon.
I'm pretty sure I understand that it's a mank-fest at low water with lots of sieves and all kinds of things to go wrong IF you screw up.
What I'm trying to determine is -- how likely is a screw-up.
Who can talk about the actual difficulty of the boating?
Compare it to Black Rock (at med flows), Gore at 1,450 and Bailey at low water. How difficult are the moves compared to the difficulty of those other runs?
Also, if you were a crew with no guide, is it practical to get out and scout every time you can't see the whole rapid? Do you look at everything, or would that just take too damn long and make this a two-day affair?
Also, how is the speed at low water, and how easy is it to grab an eddy every time you want an eddy?

Thanks a bunch for any info --

-Mike
Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009   #3
ACC

dropzone, Colorado
it's for real

Do not go in there if you are comparing it to those runs. It is V+. If you are ready for Cheeseman, aka Wildcat Canyon, you will know it. Not trying to be a dick, but it is a full on and scary run, and you should know precisely what you are getting into and have a guide.
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2009   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Like Alex said, Cheesman is for real, probably the hardest run on the front range. It is not a run that is easy with low water, there are many hard moves that are directly above sieves.

That being said if you are up to it (blackrock, gore and baily are not in the same league as cheesman) it is one of the best runs in the state.
-Tom
tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009   #5
ACC

dropzone, Colorado
I thought about this a bit more, and probably shouldn't make recs to you about whether or not you should go. Just know that it is a helluva lot harder than Bailey at low water. The scare factor is the highest in the state except for pandora's box, because every rapid has objective hazards such as seives and undercuts. If you go in and aren't a seasoned, solid V to V+ paddler, you are going to have a very unfun portage fest. Also, the run is not good to go at the 166cfs that it is currently running. Minimum is about 280, and that is still really seivy and too low. Cheeseman is not a place to work your way into harder whitewater. Most people that run it are comfortable on Vallecito and running everything on the Big South at medium flows.
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009   #6

denver, Colorado
While we are on the subject, please compare the difficulty of Yule Creek to the Upper C.
lostboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
TJ and ACC --

Thanks - that's what I figured. Now I just need to convince my friends.
Id725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009   #8

steamboat, Colorado
We went unguided. Easy to scout/portage everything. Not a long run.
latenightjoneser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009   #9

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
I gotta agree that you definitely don't need a guide. All of the rapids are stacked and pretty pool drop. That being said, the difficulty and scare factor are exactly like Al and Tom said. You will portage everything, including the easier drops like slap your momma, if you're comparing to bailey, black rock or gore. Definitely the scariest run on the Range except for maybe Normandy Canyon.
Joe
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009   #10
CGM

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKeck1 View Post
I gotta agree that you definitely don't need a guide. All of the rapids are stacked and pretty pool drop. That being said, the difficulty and scare factor are exactly like Al and Tom said. You will portage everything, including the easier drops like slap your momma, if you're comparing to bailey, black rock or gore. Definitely the scariest run on the Range except for maybe Normandy Canyon.
Joe
Except Normandy is the shit and cheeseman blows!