Cheese/Bailey questions - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-11-2007   #1

Cheese/Bailey questions

We will be there this coming Thursday. Right now the levels on both look good. Currently Bailey reads 520 cfs, but Roberts Tunnell is only puting out 375 and is looking to drop that by 100-150 cfs. So first of all, is the Bailey gauge accurate right now? Is there more in there than Roberts Tunnell is contributing? If they drop it 100-150 cfs like they say, will Bailey still be at a fun level on Thursday?

Also, South Platte at Lake George is at 350cfs. I heard this is a good level for Cheesman. How low would you go on this gauge? How long would it take to bike shuttle? Will it hold?

If you can't tell, I aint from round here.

Thanks for any help.

Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2007   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Kirk,

Bailey guage seems right. Ran it yesterday. There is natural flow in the river as well as the tunnel flows, so thats why the gauges show more than the tunnel.

If they cut 100-150 cfs, its still a decent level and still fun. Ran it last weekend at 250 and still had a good time. Beautiful scenery, fun rapids.

Both Cheeseman and Bailey run at the whim of the folks that contol the water, so there is no gaurantee flows will hold. Last minute gauge check the day you put on is the best idea.

Bike shuttle for cheeseman sounds like a major bitch. Topozone shows 18 mile shuttle with the first several miles from the takeout being uphill on a 4wd road gaining 1200ft in about almost 3 miles. I have no idea how long that would take, but thats too long for me!
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsouthpaddler View Post
Kirk,

Bailey guage seems right. Ran it yesterday. There is natural flow in the river as well as the tunnel flows, so thats why the gauges show more than the tunnel.

If they cut 100-150 cfs, its still a decent level and still fun. Ran it last weekend at 250 and still had a good time. Beautiful scenery, fun rapids.

Both Cheeseman and Bailey run at the whim of the folks that contol the water, so there is no gaurantee flows will hold. Last minute gauge check the day you put on is the best idea.

Bike shuttle for cheeseman sounds like a major bitch. Topozone shows 18 mile shuttle with the first several miles from the takeout being uphill on a 4wd road gaining 1200ft in about almost 3 miles. I have no idea how long that would take, but thats too long for me!

Thanks for the help man. Since they were currently puting in 375 but the gauge said 520, I would assume 145 of that was natural. cut that in half and subtract 150 at the most and it should still be around 300. I hope they hold the current situation through next week.

Thanks again for the info

Kirk
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bailey