chama wilderness questions - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-04-2010   #1

placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
chama wilderness questions

we are taking 4 families down the chama 5/20. is there decent camping near/at the put-in? can a vw van make it (towing a trailer) to the put-in and take-out? thanks for the info.

steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2010   #2

Los Alamos, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1983
The put in is on private land at Coppers ElVado Ranch. They have cabins and a campground so that is probably the easiest (575-588-7354). There is also El Vado Lake State Park near by (El Vado).

You should have no problem getting a trailer into the put in and take out.

Have fun,

George
gbmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010   #3

placerville, Colorado
thanks! any shuttle service options?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2010   #4

Durango, CO
Paddling Since: 1997
for a shuttle you may want to try Pilar Yacht Club. They're on the Rio Grande, and run shuttles there, but I think also will run a shuttle for you on the Chama. Good people, too.
BLott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010   #5

Los Alamos, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1983
I am pretty sure that Coopers El Vado Ranch runs shuttles also.
gbmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010   #6

Evergreen, Co.
Paddling Since: 2000
Affirmative on Coopers El Vado Ranch offering shuttle service. We used them 2 seasons ago. I have to say that I was disapointed with the large amount of cows we saw on this float and even in our campsites. Did not expect this on a permitted wilderness float.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010   #7
Abron Cabron

Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
Yup. Coopers is the way to go.might want to make reservations or just give em a heads up beforehand. they may even let you all camp for free with the shuttle purchase or do a package of some sort. PYC is way too far away.(they're great for the LTB shuttle tho). if you want to do the shuttle yourself its pretty long... like 2-3 hours round trip.btw the take out road is the one to be aware of. It shouldnt be muddy this month. bumpy as hell tho.
I love the wilderness run, but camping on the day section and doing laps is my plan during permit season.... =] have a great trip!

EL VADO RANCH | Home Page
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010   #8

placerville, Colorado
anyone know where to find a detailed river map online for this section?
Old 05-07-2010   #9
Abron Cabron

Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
IDK of any... its all read n' float.... my favorite camp is about 12 miles down from coopers. all the way down to it, there is barely anything more than class II riffles. Its called Aragon. Its river right where there is a cool mushroom rock in the middle of the river w/ a sapling growing out of it. (fun to jump off of...) camp on the right. its right above dark canyon rapid. the first actual class II rapid. you can lap the rapid in duckies if you lay over there, and theres also some hikes. the other camps further down are fairly obvious. IMO thats the best one by far. just look out for poison Ivy down from camp(!)... from there its @ 10 beautiful miles to the monastery and @ 8 more miles of the day section- ending at big eddy. dont miss the take out (!) theres no road access past big eddy all the way through lake Abiquiu... the day section has a couple rapids of note.
the first II has an undercut wall on the left. It eats duckies... then its miles of float to skull bridge rapid- which is easy, right down the middle. then a little ways to gauging station rapid, look for the only really tall (50-75') ponderosas on the left. this is the 1 of two III-, look out for 3 rocks top left and a big rock or hole at the bottom center, after a nice wave train. then screaming left is around the corner, and and then a about a mile further and one little rapid that used to have a wrapped canoe hazard, and the takeouts on the left, with a concrete beach. for kayakers there is one last rapid after the take out, with a fast surf wave, but you have to hike back up and ferry across big eddy, so its questionable if its worth it. the bigggest hazard on this run are the F me rocks at low water that hang up fatty gear boats...
Hope this helps!....
abron is offline   Reply With Quote