Chama Canyon Flows - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-04-2008   #1

Corrales, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2005
Chama Canyon Flows

BLM Taos is still telling me there will be flows on week-ends in September below El Vado dam on the Rio Chama. Its a $5 per person BLM fee with no advanced permit required. They plan on at least 600cfs releases, hopefully its more like 800. Groovers and fire pans requried for the overnighter from El Vado, no fees or other stuff needed if you put in at Chavez Canyon.
Weather should be good this week-end.

southbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2008   #2

what is the Chama like?,,never done it
ballbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008   #3

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 2000
I'm heading down there the weekend of the 12th with some friends, you're more than welcome join if you're looking for people to go with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound View Post
BLM Taos is still telling me there will be flows on week-ends in September below El Vado dam on the Rio Chama. Its a $5 per person BLM fee with no advanced permit required. They plan on at least 600cfs releases, hopefully its more like 800. Groovers and fire pans requried for the overnighter from El Vado, no fees or other stuff needed if you put in at Chavez Canyon.
Weather should be good this week-end.
whitewaterwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2008   #4

Corrales, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2005
Chama Canyon Week-Ends

@whitewaterwheat. Thanks for the tag along offer, but its my mom's birthday that week-end and I'll be out of town. Have fun!

@ballbuster. Chama Canyon is primarily Class II with a little class III and some flatwater spots. Its mostly known for being a Wild and Scenic overnighter if you put it below El Vado. Pretty mellow read and run on the rapids, folks take pets, kids, parents, etc., all the time. I'm exited about the September flows as its hard to get an in season permit to do the run. I typically just run the Racecourse on the Rio Grande below Taos and then head over and camp and run the road accessable lower part of the Rio Chama.

And its at 795cfs right now, they turn it back down Sunday afternoon.
southbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008   #5

Hey there Everyone. Headed to the chama in the morning. Should be at Big Eddy by 11 or so Also running sunday Come on that river is great for a fun 2/3. 800cfs its the most we have here in NM right now. Grab your gear camp out lets go have some fun. We have lots of tatoos cant miss us see ya there!!!!
timberman is offline   Reply With Quote