Central and South America Paddling tour. - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-10-2008   #1

Central and South America Paddling tour.

Hey All

Midway thru 2009 im gonna be heading down thru Mexico and gonna try and get as far south as i can untill i run out of money. On the way im gonna try and get in as much paddling as possible. Im paddling about grade 4 at the moment (hopeing to step it up a notch before the trip). Im looking for any one that would be keen to come on the trip with me. Or meet up in towns along the way and paddle some sick runs. Also any tips and hints from any one that has done this kind of mission before would be sweet. Not to much planning has gone into this trip yet but im gonna try and build it around the feedback i get from people and maximise the paddling.

So any thoughts, ideas, recomendations, locations would be sweet!

Thanks

Ross

Gooberman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2008   #2

student
When are you going?

I was thinking about doing the same thing next august, I just need to rally some people to go with me. My brother did this trip in 2006 and should have some beta on most of the area Kayak CO to Futaleufu Said mexico was awesome. let me know your plans.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008   #3

My rough plan is this. Hit Canada at the start of March in Calgary and spend a month skiing my way thru the Rockies to Vancouver. Then fly south to Southern States or Mexico at the start of April. Grab a boat and surfboard andsome kind of transport and meet some new people and just head as far south as i can paddling and surfing till i run outta money. Obviously these plans are super loose and can work around anything. So if ya, or any one else wants to talk some more serious plans and ideas just msg me and we can make this crazy ass mission work and get in some sick paddling!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2008   #4

In case you guys didn't see this thread, I'm headed down in a few weeks: https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ter-22062.html

This isn't really a paddling trip, but I might have some beta on a few beginner runs as well as some ocean surf spots. We have a blog that's just getting started www.100dayweekend.com
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008   #5

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
When choosing your route consider the following;

1]the Mexican Pacific coast route is long and slow but you have the ocean surf nearby the whole time.Not much in the way of ruins ,some scattered kayaking.You will have to be along /near the Pacific coast anyway by the time you get to El Salvador,Nicaragua ,or Panama,the Pan American highway is over there and La Mosquitia jungle will block the eastern part of Honduras and Nicaragua.

2] If you go the gulf route you can get apx,1/3 of the way down Mexico on faster safer American highways,most of the more interesting parts of Mexico are in southern 1/2 IMO,except the Copper Canyon and Sea of Cortez.Inland two hrs[?] from Tampico is the Huasteca basically the closest tropics to the US and full of kayaking opportunities and eco- tourism.About a day south are the kayaking areas of Veracruz,with Veracruz and Jalapa nice cities to visit.There are many ruins and the coast is close but the beaches and surf mediocre/poor.A trip to Mexico City is well worth it ,wouldn't want to drive there though.

3] if you go the gulf route you have a decision to make at the Isthmo de Tehuantepec,whether to cross over to the Pacific or go the eastern route.If you go west you have to back track north to get to Huatulco[expensive for Mexico] there is commercial rafting on the Copalita and KAYAKING ON the
]
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008   #6

Denver, Colorado
kayaking the Copalita and Zimatan + better beaches.A couple hours further north are excellent more laid back semi resort towns of Puerto Escondido and Puerto Angel.If you don't want to back track ,there are beach towns along the coast of Chiapas and Guatemala,that are lazy except on holidays,but little night life and nasty rip tides.Surfers know the hidden gems.El Salvador has world class surf,cheap shrimp,a few awesome volcanoes and beautiful mountain areas, but little history ,bad gang problems,and way to many people in a tiny country .

4}if you go the eastern way you can hit Palenque/Agua Azul and San Cristobal.Agua Azul is noy all hair most of it is 3 -4 drops and a natural wonder of the world so good for non boaters too.You could go into Guatemala south of San Cristobal near those big falls from ' Hotel Charley'.If you want to visit Tikal,the premiere archeological site in Cental America and a nature park anyway ,I
Old 11-11-2008   #7

Denver, Colorado
recommend going thru Belize instead,it is the most different of the C A countries culturally and geographically ,sort of the bastard child of Guatemala and Jamaica.Offers some of the best diving /snorkeling,fishing,and sea kayaking in the world.Lots of ruins ,caves, mountain biking ,hiking,and wildlife/bird watching.The best Belizean whitewater is near the border/ road to Tikal in the Mountain Pine Ridge/Vaca plateau a granite upland full of waterfalls.Belize has the smallest mountains but the biggest waterfall in CA.The south is a dead end driving wise but is a very undeveloped nature lovers paradise with some whitewater.

The eastern parts of Guatemala ,the Caribean coast of Honduras,and the areas around Copan and Gracias all have boating and many other worthwhile attractions and are dirt cheap.The suckiest part of the trip is the area around where ES,Hond,and Nic. come together,shithole border towns and red tape at the borders.You will be pushed west of Lago Nicaragua eventually unless you want real hard core 'hair' driving adventures.Good beaches/surf over there and climbing the volcano in Lago Nic. is highly recommended on the backpacker circuit .Semi-hair sledding opportunities exist on a couple volcanoes.
Old 11-11-2008   #8

Cool thanks for the info man. Sounds like u have done this kinda trip before?
Old 11-14-2008   #9

Bump. Still looking for peeps!!
Old 11-16-2008   #10

Denver, Colorado
Would love to do it,money is an issue unfortunately.Have never driven ,always find a cheap flight and take local transpo,chicken buses mostly.