Cataract to Potash-WTF - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-20-2012   #1

Salt Lake City, Utah
Cataract to Potash-WTF

Randdaddy please don't flame me for this--it's a long story.

My wife will not go through Cataract Canyon, so I want to take her from Mineral Bottom to Cataract, then upriver to Potash. Has anybody motored a 15' Sotar or equivalent up river that far? How many hours, how much gas, what size motor? I know if the motor conks out I am screwed. Going to buy a new motor and keep my fingers crossed

Tex's and others in Moab have told me they will NOT tow a big raft up river like that, kayaks yes, rafts no.

Anyhow, any input from those who have actually done this would be welcome.

And yes I am generally opposed to motors in settings such as this but in this case I am going to do this and ignore my conscience.

soliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2012   #2

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by soliver View Post
Tex's and others in Moab have told me they will NOT tow a big raft up river like that, kayaks yes, rafts no.
Wouldn't Tex's Riverways haul you and your gear if you rolled your raft?
briandburns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012   #3

Durango, Colorado
I've seen SOMEONE (some jetboat company, cant remember which) loading up 4-5 deflated and rolled 15+ foot rafts, frames, gear, and about 15 people at Spanish Bottom. This was last fall. So there has to be someone that will do it.

Seems to me that getting a raft UP the pinch on the Colorado side would take a LOT of horsepower, and even then, like you said, you're screwed if it craps out.
storm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2012   #4

Salt Lake City, Utah
I made some calls last fall but I admit I didn't really press the issue. The few people I talked with all said they weren't prepared to take on a raft will all the gear. Based on what you guys have said I think I will press the issue more. We are going to be in Moab in two weeks and will pay a visit to a couple of places.

Still, the idea kind of intrigues me, if it can really be done. Doing the math, say 51 miles up river, with a current of say 3mph, I come up with needed about 15+ gallons of gas. I am mainly curious if anybody has actually done it.

Thanks for the replys.
Old 03-20-2012   #5

montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Low water, you will be weaving around sand bars. High water, you won,t make it up the slide. get a boat that will plane, or plan on at least 20 hours of motoring at full throtle. It will suck and you might not make it. Why not get your wife a jetboat ride and run cat yourself?
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012   #6

Centennial, Colorado
Run potash to spanish, send your wife back up to potash with Tex, run cataract and she can shuttle your ride to hite. I agree that the slide just above the confluence would be tough with a small motor and it would take you at least a few days of motoring upstream to make it. Maybe green river, utah to mineral bottom would be a better choice.
JerkmyBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012   #7

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Not sure who picked them up, but the jet boats definitely haul rolled up rafts, gear and the whole trip. We saw a group waiting for their pick up this fall.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012   #8

Tell her to go with and she can hike for less than an half hour around the big drops. She can take photos and laugh at your sheit show. Make sure she has a throw rope. It truly is way under a 30 minute hike.
nemi west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012   #9

Salt Lake City, Utah
Don't know why I never thought of having a jet boat pick her up at Spanish Bottom--good idea.

I had thought of her walking around the Big Drops, but I have only been through Cataract 3 times and wasn't sure about the walk. If it is doable, I like that option.

The ideas here are very viable. I think what happened is I got it in my head that motoring up the river was the only option so I locked in on it. I think also one appeal of the up river trip was that we could do it any time we wanted, no permit necessary, just pack up and go, don't worry about permit dates.

I appreciate all the suggestions offered. I think the comments make it clear that trying to power up 51 miles of river is shear folly. As I was contemplating this I kept thinking, "My god that motor is going to work itself to death, it won't make it". Thanks all, I am back to reality now.
Old 03-20-2012   #10

montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
You can boulder hop and route find the entire length of Cataract on the right bank. Probably the left bank too.

Floting down the Green and motoring up the Colorado is a fine thing to do in a boat that planes. If you could get ahold of a sport boat or a little john boat it would be just fine. Just not in a raft.

Call Tex or Tag (the only jet boat outfitters that go tho the confluence) and time your drop of with one of their canoe pick ups. I think they each do two or three a week. I know that Tag used to do raft pick ups, but the jet boats are restricted on the amount of weight that they can carry, so they will likely charge alot to pick up a raft trip with all that gear. They shouldn't charge too much too pick up one more person on a day that they have a scheduled canoe pickup.

Another option, if your wife likes to hike, is to shuttle a car to the Needles and send her up Red Lake Canyon across from Spanish Bottom. Or maybie do the same thing from the Dolls House, but that would be a very long shuttle to drop off a four-wheel drive vehicle there.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cataract