Cataract take out - Hite or Dirty Devil - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-29-2011   #1

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1998
Cataract take out - Hite or Dirty Devil

Hey All,

Quick question, are people taking out at Hite or the Dirty Devil take-out currently? I have a Cat trip this weekend and am not sure what lake Powell's level is like right now.

Thanks!

Josh

Pcdc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2011   #2

San Juans, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Lake Powell Water Database

remember, you are supposed to pay to use the Hite Ramp as it's a National Wreckreation Site.
dgosn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #3

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
HITE

I talked to the Ranger the other day and she said there was about 15 feet of water left on the ramp. We're using HITE!!! Dirty Devil is always a De Rigging mess, But it is Closer! Closer to I 70 , bETTER if it is Windy , and FREE... You decide..
durangloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2011   #4

Salt Lake City, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by durangloski View Post
I talked to the Ranger the other day and she said there was about 15 feet of water left on the ramp. We're using HITE!!! Dirty Devil is always a De Rigging mess, But it is Closer! Closer to I 70 , bETTER if it is Windy , and FREE... You decide..
Awesome, thanks for the heads up. I think we're going to try the Dirty Devil and see how it goes!
Old 09-12-2011   #5

crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Do you need a motor for both take outs? I have done Cat pleanty of times but all after 2001 when the lake dropped. Is the level high enough that an outboard is a necesisty (whithin good reason for a 6 day trip)?
calirado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011   #6

prescott, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1982
Pcdc2,

how was the dirty devil takeout?

bob
86304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011   #7

Salt Lake City, Utah
The take out at the Dirty Devil was not bad. We got there on labor day at about 4pm. There was no one else at the ramp which was nice. It is kind of a muddy area. There is a sort of ramp made of gravel that backs into the lake, but if you're not on the "ramp" there is quite a bit of mud. I was happy with the decision simply because we didnt have to motor the extra miles to Hite, and you're right on the freeway to Hanksville.

I would imagine that if there were more groups at the ramp, it could be a headache. There were only a few other cars there though, so I assume most groups were using Hite.

As far as Calirado's motor question, there river ends right below rapid 28 (29 was washed out, with no current). I forget the exact mileage (don't have my map on me at the moment) but it would be about a 25-28 mile row out with absolutely no current, and often decent sized Lake Powell waves. We camped at Ten Cent our last night, and had about a 30 mile day to take-out the next day which took us from about 8:30am until 4pm with a motor after the last couple rapids. It would probably take at least two to three days to do the row out without a motor, not worth it imo. I'd rather have the motor and spend most of my time in the canyon.
Old 09-13-2011   #8
BCJ

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Talked to a friend recently whose daughter has been working tamarisk removal and did Cat a couple weeks ago. Lake Foul is backed up all the way to 28 as the previous poster said. I wouldn't go without a motor.
BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011   #9

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
We just used HITE a day ago. We got to the RAMP at 9pm in a terrible storm. I am not sure we could have found Dirty Devil at night ( in the Rain and wind) Hite has some lights that ( SORT OF ) that mark the ramp.
If they continue to fill Lake Mead all winter, we will be back to using Dirty Devil as the only ram exit in a few weeks.
durangloski is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cataract