Cataract in March? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-11-2008   #1

Hood River, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2163
Cataract in March?

Hey, not sure if this has been asked before but I was wondering if anyone knows what flows etc are like on Cataract in March. Is it good to go? Thanks.

Advertisement

Old 02-11-2008   #2

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spiegel View Post
Hey, not sure if this has been asked before but I was wondering if anyone knows what flows etc are like on Cataract in March. Is it good to go? Thanks.
Probably has been asked before but here ya go...

Definately good to go. I've done 3 March trips down there and flows were low, but by cataract standards thats still 5000+ cfs. The big drops can be challenging, but then again, they're always challenging. Weather is just a toss up. Two of the trips were sunny with 60-70 degree weather and all was good. One trip rained or sleeted almost every day. However, if your geared well for it its still plenty of fun, and the canyons rims look really cool when they're dusted with snow.

If you go, make sure to do the hike to the Doll House. One of the cooler places on this earth.

Have a good one

Ben
benpetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008   #3
Uncle Rico

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
The end of March typically is pretty good. Did it last year at around 15,000 and it is a fun run. USGS will give historical flows for the time you are going. Have Fun!
rpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2008   #4

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
If you go, could you post a quick takeout report? With the ever-changing lake conditions, some ongoing questions for people like myself who don't get to do laps anymore are:
Have any rapids come out below #29?
How's the current below the rapids?
What does the takeout look like?

Thanks,
asleep.at.the.oars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008   #5

Bozeman, MT
Paddling Since: 2000
Last year the second week in march was perfect! Great weather, and flows during the week from 6,000 - 8,000. Perfect for Browntown, Surf's up!!!!! Super stoked on this years trip!!! Last year the float out was good, moving water that zipped us right along. I'm unable to compare it to previous years, but the rapids below big drop 3 were super solid, i'd say more fun than the big drops due to the read n' run first timin' on the oars factor. I'll definately report on any changes from last year due to Lake Powell's status.
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008   #6

Info from November

I did a trip in November, there was current all the way to the takeout. There were a bunch of earth movers parked at the takeout... maybe they were going to do some work on the ledge/ramp? They had pushed a bit of dirt around, but hadn't done any major work. There was no ramp and a 3 foot ledge up to where we could get the trucks. There wasn't anything substantial to tie off to, and there is current right past the takeout, so I had to run up to my truck drive down and tie off to it. There was an old truck rim that we used until the trucks were there. It's only going to get worse as the river cuts throught the sediment.

I didn't pay attention to numbers after Imperial, but we ran 4 or 5 rapids after Imperial. I'll have a look at my guide tonight, and maybe I'll be able to tell you better. Nothing bad though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asleep.at.the.oars View Post
If you go, could you post a quick takeout report? With the ever-changing lake conditions, some ongoing questions for people like myself who don't get to do laps anymore are:
Have any rapids come out below #29?
How's the current below the rapids?
What does the takeout look like?

Thanks,
ecjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cataract