cataract canyon in utah - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-29-2013   #1
matt m

seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 2000
cataract canyon in utah

I am planning on running the cataract canyon, from moab to hite marina, the first week in may. I have heard that it would be wise to arrange a motorboat transport for the last portion of the trip due to the long flatwater with high up-canyon winds. Does anyone know what company/companies provide this service and how I could contact them?

mmccormi64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013   #2

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Watch the lake level (Bureau of Reclamation - Upper Colorado Region Water Operations: Current Status: Lake Powell), an elevation of ~3600 gives you current pretty close to the take-out. Haven't seen it this low in a few years, so it may have changed... Otherwise, you need to bring your own outboard, I don't know of anyone offering tow-out service. Also, if we finally manage to get any snow May can get pretty big down there - make sure you get good beta for the flows you're looking at. And, finally, ask Randaddy about the virtues of motoring slow water.
asleep.at.the.oars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013   #3

Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
we motored down to Spanish Bottoms in 2 days and hung out for 4 or 5 nice way to do it.
yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013   #4

Estes Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
There are no tow out services offered below Cataract on the lake. If you plan on using an outboard, also realize that you will have to have registration for the motor and raft to be legal. It is not impossible to row out.

I've run a 5 day trip with all oars when the combined flow was running about 7,000 cfs. 2 days to Spanish Bottom, 1 day for most of the rapids, then one night camping down near the lake (depending on lake level, there may or may not be campsites).

I highly suggest looking into the motor option if you want to have more time in camp and for hikes.
Imus586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013   #5

Estes Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Oh ya, an look out on the water levels, depending on the melt, it can get pretty darn big down there (but hey, that's the fun part right?)
Imus586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013   #6

Hood River, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2163
Night float, woohoo!

Arrive at gypsum around dinner, make yourself a nice meal, and start floating. Can make it to dark canyon or farther overnight. Rowing from there isn't that bad.

Rowed out the entire thing in one day from gypsum to hite starting at 7am last March. Did the night float option this july. Night float is much nicer.
David Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013   #7
matt m

seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 2000
ok, thanks for the info everyone.
mmccormi64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013   #8

Knife Fork of the Spoon Paddling Since: 1984
Matt- I would check with Road Runners on shuttles. Jim is the dudes name and I have heard that he will do a tow out.
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013   #9

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 1999
It's a day to two days down to spanish bottom even with a motor. Even at low water you will have current at least down to Gypsum so oars are always an option. The last 5 mile straight away under the bridge and to the ramp is full on lake. Winds are common. Night float, get ready to do some serious rowing or do the motor.

Even with all the flatwater, that place is awesome down in there.
Old 01-30-2013   #10

., ...
Paddling Since: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imus586 View Post
If you plan on using an outboard, also realize that you will have to have registration for the motor and raft to be legal.
You also need a fire extinguisher per NPS rules.

Awsome float, enjoy however you make it happen!
Pro Leisure is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cataract, cataract canyon