Cataract Canyon flows - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-09-2005   #1

Cataract Canyon flows

Has anyone been on Cataract recently? Does anyone know if the current goes alway to Hite marina still? Thanks

poudreraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2005   #2

I just got an email reply from the rangers to some questions I had, that being one of them. They said flows still carry you to the Dirty Devil takeout river right above Hite. Last year there was a nice road grade down to the river making things pretty smooth. It sounds like things are still good that way and they don't really expect any changes for a few years.

I've heard of some new rapids being uncovered on the lower stretches due the the river reclaiming the river bed. Nice surprises I hope.

Parker
PARKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005   #3

we ran to just past the bridge last year and was flowing, didn't know if anything had changed. Didn't see any new rapids
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2005   #4

We did a Cat trip week before last- flows definitely weren't all the way to the takeout at Dirty Devil, though they did last til around 7-10 miles from the takeout. We had a headwind to boot in the flatwater. I think it took us around 7 hrs to paddle from Imperial to the takeout, "roman-style" attaching our three rafts and dragging kayaks.

The new rapids were larger than we thought they'd be. There are four downstream of Imperial. Would've been more fun for me personally w/o the latenight antics and the 6 am wakeup call (I was a little more prepared for class II at that point)

Have a blast, take LOTS of water, and remember to regularly shotgun warm busch.
nicoleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005   #5

Knife Fork of the Spoon Paddling Since: 1984
Yes you must shot gun as many beers as possible!! Make the time to surf the "new/old" rapids that are showing up below imperial. Great waves man you could spend all day on those bad boyz. Also there is camping at Clear Water Canyon river right about 10 miles below the last rapid. Might be a better option then trying to paddle out in one day. I know i won't be doing that again. If putting in at Mineral bottom make time to talk to the Lorax about his egg turning ideas. You will know the Lorax when you see him. BUG SPRAY!!
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005   #6

thanks for the info. I'm not sure where Imperial is though, is it below big drops? how far? thanks again
Old 08-12-2005   #7

Ya Imperial is below the Big Drops you will see a couple of really nice big beaches on River right then the river makes a right hand bend and that is where the new / old rapids get going again. PS the beach on river right at rapid #1 is the best i have seen in all my desert floating plus you can still hike the doll house / spanish bottom from there try and stay there i think the camping sign up sheet has it as brown betty or #1. have fun!!
Old 08-12-2005   #8

what check that the beach below big drop are on river left still feeling the effects from my TRIP sorry.
Old 08-12-2005   #9

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Is Lorax that guy with the stick with the magnents on it and the heeler dog? If so, whewwee, he's something isn't he?
Schizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005   #10

thats the dude alright makes me wish my mom rolled her eggs i think.

Tags
cataract, cataract canyon