Cat take out? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-13-2013   #1
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Cat take out?

Wondering what folks are doing for the Cataract take out? Some of the rigs in my group are too big/too complicated to completely de-rig. What are the options if you want to trailer your boat?

Advertisement

Old 06-13-2013   #2

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Using thwarts as rollers to tow the raft across the muck up to the trailer, or just hooking up a tow strap to the truck winch and dragging it up and out. Or slapping on an extra outboard and taking out at Bullfrog.
asleep.at.the.oars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013   #3

East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
I'm going to try and get down there in sept. so I am wondering the same thing. Looking like I'll need a motor and a big tank.
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2013   #4

., ...
Paddling Since: 2010
Hite or dirty devil are good options. Hite if the lake is high enough & dirty devil when it's low. Just make sure your shuttle drivers get it right. Bullfrog works too. Motor and plenty of fuel highly recommended. Double what you think you will need, especially if your pushing a lot of rubber! Enjoy!
Pro Leisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013   #5
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Leisure View Post
Hite or dirty devil are good options. Hite if the lake is high enough & dirty devil when it's low. Just make sure your shuttle drivers get it right. Bullfrog works too. Motor and plenty of fuel highly recommended. Double what you think you will need, especially if your pushing a lot of rubber! Enjoy!
Isn't Hite way out of water now? We took out last September there and were still able to drop our trailers in the water (mud). But I am hearing reports that the lake is much lower this year.
Old 06-14-2013   #6

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
i just took out on Wednesday. Unless the lake rises, I will avoid this "take out" bring extra gas and motor to Halls Crossing. It could be possible to hide some gas near the Hite take out to facitiltate the extra day of motoring. There is current all the way to Hite.

Worst take out ever at the end of the best river I've done thus far.
tanderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013   #7
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanderson View Post
i just took out on Wednesday. Unless the lake rises, I will avoid this "take out" bring extra gas and motor to Halls Crossing. It could be possible to hide some gas near the Hite take out to facitiltate the extra day of motoring. There is current all the way to Hite.

Worst take out ever at the end of the best river I've done thus far.
Thank you, that's what I was afraid of. We are not planning to go until early September, but I doubt the lake will come up any at all, though the mud might dry up by then....maybe.

How far is Hall's Crossing? Not as far as Bullfrog I assume?
Old 06-14-2013   #8

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1998
How is the dirty devil take out now? You used to be able to get your trailer close to the water but its been a couple years since I've been. Will be hitting Cat up in sept as well and am interested in any info.
Pcdc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013   #9

SMCanyon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Hall's is about 3 mi closer. A friend who goes to Bullfrog every weekend said the BF boat ramp is down to 5 or 6 lanes due to having to extend it so far to get to the water. Don't know the state of the Hall's ramp but it is smaller to start with. You'll need to keep your de-rigging tight - I'd avoid taking off on a weekend day. In the last 2 weeks the lake has come up just over a foot and BuRec has increased outflows at Glen Canyon.
kb52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013   #10

cedar city, Utah
Its a long bloody journey via lake from Hite/Dirty Devil to Halls Crossing (across from BullFrog). I Believe it is in the range of 50+ miles according to the guidebooks and maps I have. But that was before the new channel formed and would require taking the appropriate channel the entire way. You can easily add 5-10 miles if you take the wrong channel which aren't marked as well the last ten years in that region. Camping in the upper reach of the reservoir is also limited. I have sea kayaked the length of Powell and remember using ledges for the first 20 miles or so.

I assisted a commercial J-rig years ago (2005 or 2006) and it took us all night to go from Dirty Devil to Halls with 150 Hp of power. Scary ass ride with all the wood that was at the terminus of flow and head of the lake. Not sure if that will happen this year as it was a high water year and likely dislodged more debris than this year.

If there is a way to take out at the Dirty Devil then I would do so. The ramp takeout was in good shape in March, though it was only big enough for one medium to large sized group to dismantle their gear at a time. There is also the upper dirt access a couple hundred yards upriver. Using this will save a ton of time and likely a lot of money from the shuttle and access fees for using the ramps on Powell.

Though, having experienced it myself, some boats, because of length and weight, just can't be taken out on that primitive access.

Best of luck, Alex. Jealous for the September trip. Great time of year to be down there and would be curious to see the rapids at such low water, i.e. releases from Flaming Gorge limited to 800-900 cfs.

Phillip
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote