cat seating - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-01-2012   #1

roseburg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 96
cat seating

Any thoughts on a low back seat that is shaped more like a race car seat to stay locked in a little better. I was thinking that a rise on the sides would be nice to hold hips a bit better

scout1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2012   #2

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
I was considering gocart seating on my 10' paddle cats but wound up designing a backrest into the speedrail frame
Old 01-01-2012   #3

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
scout1 ..... What seat are you looking at? I'm partial to a high back seat myself.

KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2012   #4

roseburg, Oregon
Im not looking at anything specific right now just something different. After a couple of high water outings and almost getting pitched twice, I think I would like a seat with a little rise on the sides. Check out my youtube channel scout10161975 and watch the N ump high water run. I get toseed around a little in Island rapid.
Old 01-01-2012   #5

portland, Oregon
How good is your footbar? The nrs footbar is heavy but i can lock in pretty good which stabilizes me well in a lowback

Sounds like you want some padded hip bracers which restrict your movement to up and down
Old 01-01-2012   #6

San Juans, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by scout1 View Post
Im not looking at anything specific right now just something different. After a couple of high water outings and almost getting pitched twice, I think I would like a seat with a little rise on the sides. Check out my youtube channel scout10161975 and watch the N ump high water run. I get toseed around a little in Island rapid.
Looking at the video, I think you just need to have your feet locked in better to avoid getting tossed? I'd think high sides means your crack your hip bones when your highsiding and getting tossed.

Either way, sweet vid I remembered all those landmarks. I worked on a USFS Fire Crew at the Steamboat Work Station for a summer (04). I spent most days learning to kayak, and subsequently learning to swim rapids on the N Umpqua. Never saw it above 2500 though. It was there I decided I was done getting my face dragged over rocks in favor of a inflatable boat with more room for beer and shotguns. That sure was a fun summer of grouse hunting, drinking, fishing, hot springs, and kayaking.
dgosn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012   #7

portland, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by scout1
I'd try some of that traction tape you can adhere to the footbar pegs
Old 01-01-2012   #8

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
You really shouldn't expect the edges of your seat to hold you in, you need to hold yourself in either by bracing fore/aft or triangulation with your footbraces, or most especially highsiding. I don't see really any excessive getting thrown around, it's hard to say whether or not you "should" have stayed in your seat that one time. Getting tossed out of your seat happens, and the best way to avoid it is to highside into the wave. One thing I did notice, the way you hold your handles struck me as odd. I hold on over the end, and it really allows me to move the oar around, I can pivot it on the ball of my hand as a transition to having the oar handle in front of me to behind me. It also really lets me brace against it when I need to. It looks like you are holding on pretty far down the handle, almost hitting the shaft? I could be wrong, video is deceiving sometimes. I use a lowback and prefer it. I like to be able to move around my boat, highside and ride it to keep it down. I have a different frame, which I think is a factor also.
Old 01-01-2012   #9

roseburg, Oregon
Sounds like grip tape on the foot bars wouldn't hurt a bit. Thanks all!
Old 01-01-2012   #10

portland, Oregon
That and a beer holder so you have full use of your arms