Cat@40G's,Not your first trip! - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-20-2008   #1

RFV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
[email protected]'s,Not your first trip!

I'm pulling into Potash tuesday morning. The ramp is full of J-Rigs & a rather Large Dory. Three 14' Bailers & a 16' Bailer. Sitting on the ramp (out of the water) A local company has the J's with the Cat Guides riggin' as the lead Guides for the paddlers arrive. The Company is from Co. and has NEVER done Cataract professionally. As well as None of the Boatman have NEVER run Cat!
As the local-Moab- Guy was explaining the run from BD1-3 The look on this girls face was between WoW&HuH! "Maybe we Made a Mistake" ?
Anyways, I've been there at 10,20,30's. Never would I ever consider going above that safe?zone! Unless i was in another raft with an experienced guy on the sticks. BUT what I wanna know is. How can YOU sell a trip to a place where you have never been? Not only that but, An inherently dangerous place such as CAT.
Is it that never endimg feeling that you can do anything. That comes from a couple of years of guiding. That will drive you to think that you could possibly make it through Cat at high water,With unaware paying customers.
I don't wish to be spiteful, And I hope all is well.

We'll find out in two days.

Advertisement

Old 05-21-2008   #2

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Juice!

Running cat this weekend and it is forecasted for 60K+. We want to do it in two or three days. Will that be easy at this high flow? Anyone want to row a raft so we can take beer and playboats?

Thanks for the beta!
Old 05-21-2008   #3

RFV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
Cat in 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosurfgod View Post
Running cat this weekend and it is forecasted for 60K+. We want to do it in two or three days. Will that be easy at this high flow? Anyone want to row a raft so we can take beer and playboats?

Thanks for the beta!
Totally doable, as long as you float straight through to the confluence. Should be about 30-33 hrs. @ 30,000 tomorrow it will be bigger and the next day more etc...PLAYBOATS??? C'Mon. Cat @ 50'GRAND is no GAME! Everything is straight forward for the most part, until the drops. However there are Laterals,Haystacks(bigger than you have ever seen) and the window wave etc.
If you're not where you need to be at the bottom of#2, The Gut is Trouble!
By all means, don't let me stop you.Just be Very Careful. Maybe a late summer trip is more probable?