Castle Creek Wood Report? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-24-2007   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Castle Creek Wood Report?

Anybody been in there this year? Got a wood report?

I know flows have been pretty low, and are on the way down now.

Going to be in the area this weekend and am looking to get on slaughterhouse and castle creek.

Hoping it warms up and brings back up the flows.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2007   #2
Fred Gnarquist

carbondale, Colorado
i drove up there this past weekend i dont know about wood but it looked low when i was up there, not sure of the cfs, you could get down but i dont think your butt would feel good after if you have run this before, you should call me i would like to go up there for sure, 970-319-6947
fred norquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007   #3

Some boaters at the Slaughterhouse take-out last w/e told me that Paul Tefft cut wood out of Castle fairly recently - I didn't get to run it though.
thorndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2007   #4

Denver, Colorado
Thanks for the info.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007   #5

I just posted a trip planner to paddle Castle sometime this week/weekend if you guys are still interested in hitting it up. I ran it about a week ago and it was clean until after that low bridge in the mellow runout section - then there are a couple of trees down that I ended up portaging just to be safe. I know people have been sneaking past the wood but it looked borderline sketchy to do so (just my two cents).
Cru_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007   #6

Denver, Colorado
We paddled castle creek and slaughterhouse last week and castle creek had 2 river wide logs (portage river left) near the end of castle creek and a third almost river wide that you can sneak river right.
paulh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007   #7

Silverthorne, Colorado
I might also be interested in a group paddling Castle Creek into Slaughterhouse this weekend. But I would only be interested in it with an absolute minimum group size of 3, preferably more, and only if some others are recently rescue trained.

No more creeks and Class 5 for me in small groups of untrained and "wrong mindset" people.

Castle Creek is not too tough and one of my all time favorite pretty runs, but some recent paddling experiences have convinced me that I too often paddle with people that don't have the right mindset about safety.
I might have 1 other good boater interested in this weekend.
-Dan
([email protected])
Old 06-20-2007   #8

Dan - email me if you plan to head up there between Fri morning and Tues afternoon. Would love to get a couple of laps in and then do Slaughterhouse.
- Pete
[email protected]
Cru_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote