Careful out there friends - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-23-2010   #1

Paddling Since: 1993
Careful out there friends

The east coast paddling scene just lost a true ambassador last week. Jim was always the mother duck for many learning and skilled alike. He will be missed. Take a sec today and think about it and send some good vibes to the east coast tribe.
Here is the link:
Northeast Paddlers Message Board: Forums / General Paddling / Jim O'Brien (was: Hubbard Accident today?)

h2obro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2010   #2

Has there been any information released yet on what actually happened to cause his death?
BoscoBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010   #3

Paddling Since: 1993
No Trip report yet!

Jim was very well known back east and I think it might be some time before the parties involved get to the TR. I'm sure when things settle this incident will be brought to light for the rest of us.
h2obro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2010   #4
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
A sad way to start out a year. Condolences to the friends and family. Obviously don't know Jim, but anyone who loves a river is a friend to me. Gods speed.
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010   #5

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
That's too bad, I'll be sure to pour a sip for him.
slavetotheflyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010   #6

Whitewater Boater, Boating Whitewater
Paddling Since: 2004
Jim will be missed, He is the reason I run Bliss-Stick. Jim was a western MA pioneer, influencing just about everyone in the area. Peace.
yakrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010   #7

Leadvillian, Colorado
odd that the community from the message board is so tight lipped about the accident, most TR's don't have a lot of macabre detail anyways

it seems that someone who spent a lot of his life committed to whitewater safety would appreciate a summary of the accident to be proliferated

I know that having written a couple and having had a few friends write a few the process of writing a TR is usually cathartic
Matt J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt J View Post
odd that the community from the message board is so tight lipped about the accident, most TR's don't have a lot of macabre detail anyways

it seems that someone who spent a lot of his life committed to whitewater safety would appreciate a summary of the accident to be proliferated

I know that having written a couple and having had a few friends write a few the process of writing a TR is usually cathartic

That is exactly what I was thinking. Every time I asked it was the same reply. No trip report because he was was a great guy and an expert kayaker. He was running on a popular river, if there is some danger to avoid or some lessons to be learned, the facts should be known.
BoscoBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010   #9
gh

pnw, Colorado
The folks in the know just witnessed a tragedy. Chill your need to know and let people grieve. If there was a hazard they would have posted.
Old 03-28-2010   #10

Golden, CO
Paddling Since: 1856
I think that is the question. Is there some hazard on the creek that people need to be aware of? I don't think anybody is being insensitive to wonder what happened. It could save somebody's life in the future. Lessons learned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gh View Post
The folks in the know just witnessed a tragedy. Chill your need to know and let people grieve. If there was a hazard they would have posted.
FrankC is offline   Reply With Quote