Captiol Reef NP kayak policy - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-30-2010   #1
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
Captiol Reef NP kayak policy

whos got the policy information regarding kayaking in capitol reef? is it the standard NP ban like jellystone and others, or is it an open policy like other parks? gonna be there in a while and would love to boat some dirty brown, regardless of class. thanks for anything you know

Advertisement

Old 03-30-2010   #2

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
I have done the Fremont which I think is in Captial Reef Park boundaries, I dont know of any specific restrictions but I dont think the rangers would say anything to you other than wonder why you have a boat in one of the most arid regions in the country. Call the park service if you are really worried about it. It is a great place and if you can find the water you will have a great adventure in a very remote place. Good luck and the water is very dirty when it flows.
ccombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010   #3
God Amongst Men

i just wanted to make sure that it wasnt really illegal. im not going to be proactive about it, if somebody gives me shit im going to plead ignorance, i was just curious if someone had had any particular encounters with rangers there, good or bad. capitol reef is a super bitchin place and floating through it seems like a fun way to see it from a new angle
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2010   #4

Prescott, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2005
Some National Parks just require that you get a wilderness permit the same that a back packer would get, but check with NPS first.
shua30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010   #5

Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
Yeti,
I did some checking for you. Since I work for the NPS, ignorance isn't always the best way to go. It is legal to paddle in the park. The lower sections of the Fremont aren't paddled often or at all, but is something like class I/II. The upper, which runs almost never, is 16miles of III-V. You can find it on eddyflower: Untitled Page
No permit needed. The park has only records of people getting hurt on this section, but not even in park boundary. They recommend if your looking for something to float, try the Fremont after it joins with the Dirty Devil near Hanksville. You can try the Hanksville BLM office for more info on paddling at 435-542-3461
Have fun,
Josh
ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010   #6

Josh - you should get yourself transferred to the Gunnison Field Office!
Old 03-31-2010   #7
God Amongst Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski_kayak365 View Post
Yeti,
I did some checking for you. Since I work for the NPS, ignorance isn't always the best way to go. It is legal to paddle in the park. The lower sections of the Fremont aren't paddled often or at all, but is something like class I/II. The upper, which runs almost never, is 16miles of III-V. You can find it on eddyflower: Untitled Page
No permit needed. The park has only records of people getting hurt on this section, but not even in park boundary. They recommend if your looking for something to float, try the Fremont after it joins with the Dirty Devil near Hanksville. You can try the Hanksville BLM office for more info on paddling at 435-542-3461
Have fun,
Josh
Josh, thanks a million for your efforts, i appreciate it bigtime! i had a feeling that boating wasnt frowned upon, so thats why i was going with the ignorance option. if i had a feeling the other way i would have sought confirmation and clarification from the office.

the upper section looks like fun and my kinda river, but how hard are the chunky waterfalls to portage? those three drops are what keep me out of the upper section. im mainly looking at the stretch below fruita, i know its going to be flat and meandery but for me quality isnt what im after. if i can float a boat through it then its worth it to me for the scenery and the adventure. there is also a man made waterfall a ways down that looks fun and dangerous that im going to give a good long look at, but mostly just stoked to go float. thanks again for the info!
Old 03-31-2010   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Utah book makes it sound perfectly.legal.II- III roadside,but still awesome scenery,with a 15 -20 ft falls near takeout.Picture does not look mammade,may be talking about different falls,book alludes to lousy lz,doesn't look bad in picture.You're in a ducky right ,more shock absorbtion on impact.That upper run sounds tough,but maybe you are right ,not too bad with a couple portages.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010   #9
God Amongst Men

ran the park section from the cg down to just above the man made falls with no problems. rangers didnt even so much as look at me. fun shallow class II and III- all the way with an occasional portage around a brush jam or an ugly jumble of rocks. the section from the gorge mouth to the cg looked to be a step up, continuous III but with little to no eddies and more bush jams. the falls is a three part thing. theres an unrunnable (too manky) bedrock slide above the main falls, which is a two stage drop. the top part all the water funnels into a crack about a foot wide, and it pours into a very agitated eddy that has a fair amount of recirc. it regroups and then pours off a twelve, thirteen footer, which looks really clean and good to go. if it didnt have such a difficult launch (read: otter slide into the ugly recirc above it and then power hard off the falls) it would have been run ages ago. i really wanted to fire it up but after twenty minutes of staring just couldnt find a way to safely launch into the swirling eddy above it. all in all a lot more fun than i expected. you could take it all the way to the 24 bridge below the falls, too. gonna post a full write up on EddyFlower soon.

Tags
kayaking