Canyon City Kayak Park Beta - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-02-2010   #1

Arvada, Colorado
Canyon City Kayak Park Beta

Anyone have any beta for the Canyon City Whitewater Park? What levels have been good so far? Which hole is better (upper/lower)? Is it even good? And finally, anyone have any pics of the holes in action? Oh, and who made this park and what other parks have they made in Colorado?

extremekevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2010   #2

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremekevin View Post
Anyone have any beta for the Canyon City Whitewater Park? What levels have been good so far? Which hole is better (upper/lower)? Is it even good? And finally, anyone have any pics of the holes in action? Oh, and who made this park and what other parks have they made in Colorado?
The top hole starts to get fun at 800cfs and looked really good when I saw it the one day it was flowing at 1100 cfs. There has not been enough water to make the bottom hole worth while. River Restoration / Colorado River Works was who put the park in I cant remember the engineers name though. My opinion on the park is that they got the top feature designed right and should funtion at 800 cfs and up til it washes. The bottom hole is another story, It seems like it is going to be retentive and the eddy service could be questionable as the flows come up and will probably need to be re-engineered or it could be really good at high water don't know yet.
ccombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010   #3
Mut

GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Jason Carey from River Restorations. He also engineered the Glenwood Springs wave.

If its a fraction as good as Glenwood, it will still be great.

Anyone have any photos?
Mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2010   #4

Silverdale, Washington
Paddling Since: 2007
I am going to go the complete opposite direction of CCOMBS. I haven't been there at 1100 the one day it got that high, but I have been there at 800. I thought the top feature, at all levels I have been there thus far (800 down to 550) is poor, but very good eddy service. I don't think it's retentive or steep enough personally. Could surf and flatspin on it, but not well. Not easy to carve on because of the boulders that help form the wave on each end. I'll have to see as the water comes up, but it looks like it'll wash too easily as flows come up.

I don't like the location placement of the bottom hole compared to the top hole, too far downstream I think, but the hole itself works well. From what I was told by one of the guys working on it, the riverbed height difference shifted between when they measured/planned it and when they actually put it in. Also,
eddy service is definitely poor on this bottom hole. Not a problem at 800 and below, but at higher water this could be a problem. However, I heard the river right side was going to be modified with another boulder or two, so it may help fix the eddy service. I haven't been there since last Wednesday.

At 800, it is a bit retentive on the river left side on the bottom hole, but if you realize this it's easy to sidesurf out of it. It only took me once to figure out that this was necessary. Can surf and flatspin in the center of it, cartwheel, and marginally loop at low water. At 550, the only reason I couldn't get in a good loop attempt was because my bow would hit the bottom before I could pop back out of the water to initiate the loop. I only see this getting better as flows come up. I think the surfing on it will get better as flows come up, even if it gets more retentive. It certainly appears better than the top hole in my opinion.
Old 05-03-2010   #5
Jefe Driver

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Some photos of the top feature on 4/18/2010. Can't remember the flow at the moment:

Picasa Web Albums - 11429528873444257... - 2010-04-18 ka...
FreeKickHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010   #6

Salida, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Patrick View Post
I am going to go the complete opposite direction of CCOMBS. I haven't been there at 1100 the one day it got that high, but I have been there at 800. I thought the top feature, at all levels I have been there thus far (800 down to 550) is poor, but very good eddy service. I don't think it's retentive or steep enough personally. Could surf and flatspin on it, but not well. Not easy to carve on because of the boulders that help form the wave on each end. I'll have to see as the water comes up, but it looks like it'll wash too easily as flows come up.

I don't like the location placement of the bottom hole compared to the top hole, too far downstream I think, but the hole itself works well. From what I was told by one of the guys working on it, the riverbed height difference shifted between when they measured/planned it and when they actually put it in. Also, eddy service is definitely poor on this bottom hole. Not a problem at 800 and below, but at higher water this could be a problem. However, I heard the river right side was going to be modified with another boulder or two, so it may help fix the eddy service. I haven't been there since last Wednesday.

At 800, it is a bit retentive on the river left side on the bottom hole, but if you realize this it's easy to sidesurf out of it. It only took me once to figure out that this was necessary. Can surf and flatspin in the center of it, cartwheel, and marginally loop at low water. At 550, the only reason I couldn't get in a good loop attempt was because my bow would hit the bottom before I could pop back out of the water to initiate the loop. I only see this getting better as flows come up. I think the surfing on it will get better as flows come up, even if it gets more retentive. It certainly appears better than the top hole in my opinion.
Only time and water will tell, I do agree with you it that its not worth it at either hole below 800, hopefully the next phase of the park will have a feature that will work at low water. I've been in the top wave when it was just a little over 900cfs and I thought there was plenty of fun to be had and I dont think it will wash out completely and might turn into a good wave with nice eddy service above 2000.The bottom feature will definately be a HOLE at that level and if they can fix the eddy who knows. Maybe they nailed it with a good wave and hole combo, only time and water will tell.
Old 05-04-2010   #7

The next zone, .
Thanks for the update and pics.

Once the water comes up I hope to make it down to try em out for myself.
Old 05-04-2010   #8

lookout mnt., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
where is the park located? looks just down stream from one of the bridges.
MCSkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010   #9

Salida, Colorado
The top feature is between the footbridge and the 4th street bridge across from centenial park. The bottom feature is just before the new foot bridge (before the black bridge) just down from the railroad depot parking lot.

Tags
ark, kayaking