Can't Keep Water Out of my Kayak - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-11-2010   #1

Coeur d'Alene, idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Can't Keep Water Out of my Kayak

So no matter what I do I end up having to drain my boats at least once during an hour long play session or during a run. I have a Dagger Crazy 88 and a LL Jeffe. I have switched skirts to the IR SBD (simple but dry) and I have put duct tape over the many, many bolts in my cockpit. Also, I am wearing a full dry top, so its not like the water is coming through the tunnel of my spray skirt. After all this, I am still getting wet.

1) is this normal for these boats? How dry are other people after surfing? river running/creeking?
2) do you think it is the skirt or the boat? both? something else?
3) suggestions?

Thanks!
/DHN

reyher85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2010   #2

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Buy a Jackson
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010   #3

Coeur d'Alene, idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensjustduckie View Post
Buy a Jackson
For the time being lets just assume that I am broke as a you-know-what and buying any sort of new boat is out of the question.

I can however afford little things, like aquaseal and maybe dinner tonight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2010   #4

silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Bomber Gear makes a rim seal that really works. $12. Check it out online Bombergear.com his demo video shows him installing it on his jackson. Ten Mile Creek Kayaks in Frisco also carries Bomber Gear and the rim sealer.

I paddle a Riot Astro/Turbo and a Dagger Nomad, my skirt is a Bomber rubber rand and both my boats are virtual dry.....eventually I get a little leakage through my Dry Top.
miahski2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010   #5

Front Range, "Beautiful Colorado"
Paddling Since: 1996
plumbing GOOP... Pull all bolts, clean surface, GOOP, and put screws back in tight.
Old 06-11-2010   #6

Jacksonville, Florida
Have you checked for leaks? Dry your boat out and then run a hose over it for awhile in different spots ... check inside to see if water is leaking through anywhere.

Adayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010   #7
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
If it's leaking into both boats probably sfae to assume it's not the boats but the skirt or maybe the way you are wearing the skirt. Do you layer in this order? -> top innertunnel, then skirt tunnel, then top outertunel?
Old 06-11-2010   #8

Ft Collins, Colorado
I'd first try to figure out where the water is coming in. I've had problems with everything below:

1. Do you first feel wet around wrists or elbows -> wrist gaskets most likely, but could be dry top fabric. Put dry top over your head and look for light leaks, most likely at elbows. Hold wrists closed and fill sleeves with water and look for leads/seepage. Put a _little_ pressure on water (squeeze) and looks for leaks. I just sent back a dry top for repair/replacement that has what I consider extreme leakage in the fabric and seams - this top was only 3 yrs old and wetter than my > 10-yr old Stohlquist. For small holes/tears in dry tops, I've had really good luck with iron-on gore-tex repair patching fabric (get at REI or any good outdoor store) and aquaseal.

2. Waist wet (usually pile top feels soaked around waist/under skirt, but chest / sleeves dry) -> loose skirt/bad tunnel.

3. Drips on legs - probably pinholes in skirt. Hold up to sky and _stretch_ this and look for pinholes, usually over rim, where the skirt's been folded (e.g., stored crunched up), around base of tunnel. Fix with aquaseal. These can be very hard to see and insidious.

4. Around rim of sprayskirt. You'll probably feel on your legs first, but the boat will likely only lead (at least badly) when you surf or run vigorous rapids (i.e., may not leak when running easy white water).

5. Around bolt hole, cracks, etc - holes in boat. Water "appears" in boat. You can try partially filling the boat with water and looking for leaks, but just tightening all the bolts will usually fix this enough to be ignored. If you find a bad leak, it's probably easiest to loosen the bolt and put a ring of plumber's putty or silicone sealant around it and re-tighten. Wave Sport seems to have particularly poor quality control in boat assembly -- new boats show up with really loose bolts, and they constantly loosen while on the car or on the river. You could have an unidentified crack - look esp around the cockpit rim and this would explain it.

6. Finally, DWR treatment wasted. This only lasts a short time (less than a season) and once your fabric is saturated, you can't force vapor through it. So if you're playing and constantly re-wetting the fabric, and sweating much, it's like wearing a plastic bag. You can re-proof tops and it really helps for a while, but it's kind of a pain to do it.

Seems like I always have leaks and am wet while boating. I'm jealous or Miah and others that somehow manage to stay dry!!

johng
johng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010   #9

Coeur d'Alene, idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by miahski2 View Post
Bomber Gear makes a rim seal that really works. $12. Check it out online Bombergear.com his demo video shows him installing it on his jackson. Ten Mile Creek Kayaks in Frisco also carries Bomber Gear and the rim sealer.
Has anyone had any issues with having their skirt pop off with this thing? I am leery of putting it on a creek boat...
Old 06-11-2010   #10

Coeur d'Alene, idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophilus View Post
If it's leaking into both boats probably sfae to assume it's not the boats but the skirt or maybe the way you are wearing the skirt. Do you layer in this order? -> top innertunnel, then skirt tunnel, then top outertunel?
Thats sort of what I thought as well but both of these boats are notorious for being leaky and I recently switched skirts... I have been using this SBD for maybe 10 days on the river now...its simple, but I am not dry.

Tags
kayaking