Canoeing rogue - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-03-2010   #1

salt lake, Utah
Paddling Since: 2000
Canoeing rogue

Has anyone done or heard of people canoeing the wilderness section of the rogue in late may? What cfs would be off the high end?

eric

etietze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2010   #2

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1996
I did it in late May about 6 years ago. It was around 6K when we launched, and somewhere around 60K when we took out 2 days early. It rained non-stop.
Marco Esquandolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010   #3

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by etietze View Post
Has anyone done or heard of people canoeing the wilderness section of the rogue in late may?
Yes, people occasionally canoe the Rogue, but not often and I can't reccomend it.

Quote:
What cfs would be off the high end?
How much is it going to rain in the next month and a half? Average late May flow is 3,500-4,000 cfs at Grants Pass and 5,000 cfs at Agness. I have been there in late May with half that flow and also twice that flow. It all depends on how much it is going to rain. Average water temperature is about 60 degrees.
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2010   #4
iratehippie

Cave Junction, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
I'm near Cave [email protected] 2300 elev. and it is snowing here now, with 1 inch on the ground. I can see Bolan Mtn. from here, and its been snowing up there for the last 3 days. 2 days ago I had 5-6 inches here. I've been down the wild and scenic at a good bunch a levels(2,000-13,000) and never seen anyone in a canoe...
iratehippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010   #5

unemployeed
Send a message via ICQ to northfwestg
rogue

canoeing the rogue is not a problem if you are a bad ass C-1er, do not tandem paddle this river, go solo in a equipped boat with float bags for and aft, proper pedastool and thigh straps. the coffee pot will be your worst nightmare, hopefully you have raft support and can jump in the rubber down mule creek. This is not a river to be paddling your daddys 16 foot alumacraft with no skills. you must be a bomber C-1 paddler, if not you may end up in American Whitewaters incident report. It helps to be able to roll that canoe also, good luck and watch out for the CHUBA CABRE
northfwestg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010   #6

salt lake, Utah
Paddling Since: 2000
Is there a level you wouldn't recomend an open canoe? The AWW site has 6000cfs as its upper end for the wilderness section. What is 6000 like? Bad ass canoeist or not, there is a point even on a low gradient river where the pools between rapids are cranking and don't offer much oportunity to bail. Would you be able to compare it with the main salmon or the middle fork? Both are fine in August but I wouldn't even think about the middle fork in june and would be ready for a portage or two on the main in june.
etietze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010   #7

unemployeed
Send a message via ICQ to northfwestg
canoe.

well if your good your good, and your only as good as your team. strong team no worries, weak safety, could be trouble
northfwestg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010   #8
iratehippie

Cave Junction, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
6000 is on the high side for the [email protected], you need to also see what its running @agness(which today is 10,400,HIGH), lottsa water coming in below grants pass(GP) here's the oregon river/water site USGS Daily Data for Oregon_ Stage and Streamflow southern oregon/costal rivers (Rogue, umpqua, illinois, etc...)bottom of page
iratehippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010   #9

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
The AWW site has 6000cfs as its upper end for the wilderness section. What is 6000 like? Bad ass canoeist or not, there is a point even on a low gradient river where the pools between rapids are cranking and don't offer much oportunity to bail.
I am not sure why AW doesn't reccomend the Rogue >6,000 cfs (Agness gauge). From the perspective of a rafter and IKer, I believe the river is easier at higher flows. The drops are not as steep, a lot of the rocks are covered and lines are not as precise. The river is still largely pool drop. Mule Creek is wider, seems less turbulent and Telfer's Rock (sp?) is covered. A route opens up on the right side of Blossom and the Fence is covered. But like Northfwestg said, at any level you had better be one bad ass in a canoe, have the right equipment and have someone else carry the camping gear.

Quote:
Would you be able to compare it with the main salmon or the middle fork? Both are fine in August but I wouldn't even think about the middle fork in june and would be ready for a portage or two on the main in june.
The Rogue will put a lot more water in your boat with bigger waves and steeper drops. But you won't face a maze of rocks like at Sulphur Slide and the Chutes.
Old 04-04-2010   #10

White City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
Send a message via AIM to kayaker1976
rogue

My friend and I were plannning on a self support kayak trip down the wild and scenic, We ended up with 3 more kayakers, a raft and a cataraft. All I can say is i'm glad we had support rafts for the gear, the river was pretty easy to read. We we warned if you swim in coffee pot hold on to your boat, well i got the oppurtunity to swim it and i can say it's pretty crazy under water. I have video posted on my site if you want a kayakers point of view of coffee pot.

Roguekayakers.com
kayaker1976 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canoe