Canby, Or - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-22-2013   #1

The Bitterroot, Montana
So, I may have a dream job opportunity in Canby, OR of all places. Anybody know much about it? All I know is it is close to a lot of the Clack, Sandy, Willamette, Corvallis stuff. Anybody actually ever lived there or just driven through between Portland and Eugene ? Any beta much appreciated.

montuckyhuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2013   #2

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2009
Canby is a nice little town about 15 miles from my house in SE Portland. The Molalla river would be in your backyard with some nice winter runs. The city is 30-40 mins to the Clakamas and Sandy an hour from the Santiam and probably an hour to Downtown Portland assuming it's not rush hour. I would guess an hour and a half to Hood River. As far as the city goes I have not been there for 10 years however I remember it being a nice place with the usual things you would expect from a city of 15,000 people. If it's really the dream job I wouldn't hesitate to move there.
mbrookins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013   #3

Medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1984
There is a very active kayak community in the Portland area. You might take a look at Oregon Canoe and Kayak club there is lots of winter boating in Oregon. Soggy Sneakers is a great resource, the Canoe and Kayak club in Corvallis put it together. I have friends in Canby and they are quite happy. It is nice because you are near Portland aka beervana, you should be able to find a good boating community in short order. I lived in Corvallis for 12 years and enjoyed it lots of cultural activities with a major University in town, very active kayak community there as well. The winters are wet but fairly mild, summers are dry and sunny.
rivers2run is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2013   #4

The Bitterroot, Montana
So, I have not ever been south of Beaverton, so I'm trying to get an idea. Also may just not even get the job but if I even get the chance to interview for it I will drive out to have a look. So for a city of 15,000 is it a bunch of Sub D ranch homes with retired stay homers, or are there a few outdoor, younger families getting after fun on the weekends and afternoons? A few restaurants not named McD'sKFCtacohell? A few fun bars? Also closest surf spot?
Old 05-22-2013   #5

The Bitterroot, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivers2run View Post
There is a very active kayak community in the Portland area. You might take a look at Oregon Canoe and Kayak club there is lots of winter boating in Oregon. Soggy Sneakers is a great resource, the Canoe and Kayak club in Corvallis put it together. I have friends in Canby and they are quite happy. It is nice because you are near Portland aka beervana, you should be able to find a good boating community in short order. I lived in Corvallis for 12 years and enjoyed it lots of cultural activities with a major University in town, very active kayak community there as well. The winters are wet but fairly mild, summers are dry and sunny.
Yeah, I would have a good idea of what to expect from Portland, Just trying to get a feel for if ALL I would be doing is driving to Portland to find cool stuff or cool people, or if Canby has a bit of life to it. I should add I am not much of a big city person, so small towns will suite me well as long as the whole population isn't wearing diapers living in the same 2 designs of spec home.
Old 05-22-2013   #6

forks, washington
Canby is a small town but it is like 30 minutes from downtown portland and anything you want to do involving nightlife. There is a killer mexican place there. plus like others have said about boating.
fishhawk1400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by montuckyhuck View Post
Ysmall towns will suite me well as long as the whole population isn't wearing diapers living in the same 2 designs of spec home.
How is that any different than the Bitterroot?
jkodadek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013   #8

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by montuckyhuck View Post
A few restaurants not named McD'sKFCtacohell?
If there was a "like" button, you'd have one for this!
yesimapirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013   #9

Rainy Northwest, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980
Canby

First of all, Canby is on edge of the Portland Metro area, so you could work in Canby, and have an awesome choice of places to live. You could go full-on country 10 minutes from work, or live in Southeast Portland and go full-on hippie.

Second, large boating community here, from kayakers to rubber pushers.

Third, Portland is regarded at a destination city for food.

Fourth, you are within 90 minutes of: the beach, the high desert, Mt. Hood, the Gorge and enough streams to challenge you no matter how good you are. You can ski, kayak and surf on the same weekend.

Downside: It f'ing rains here. A lot. You don't have Montana vistas, or the smell of fresh-cut hay. I am a native Montanan, and miss it every day, but this isn't a bad place to be.
swiftwater15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013   #10

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
+1 for swiftwater15, Canby is not that far from Portland. You could easily live anywhere on the southside of downtown and the commute would not be too bad. I have been to Canby for work a few times and nothing there sticks out in my mind. As for the river community, you can search many old posts and see the love.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote