Can this even be legal? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-11-2013   #1

GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Can this even be legal?

Check it:

USGS Current Conditions for USGS 09106150 COLO RIVER BELOW GRAND VALLEY DIV NR PALISADE, CO

The Colorado River running through Grand Junction is at 103 (<-not a misprint) cfs.

The irrigation ditches are all brim full, but the mighty "river" isn't even a trickle.

Why? How? With the freezing temps the last few nights the fruit growers don't need that water. Why can't they leave some for the fish?!

mikesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2013   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
That doesn't seem right. I would think 103 cfs would be killing fish left and right, and aren't there all kinds of protections for the "endangered native fish"?
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013   #3

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
But the Gunnison is at 1000 and the Colorado at state line is 2000, so unless there's 900 cfs of irrigation run-off coming back into the river, that seems like an error. Anyone have a visual?
asleep.at.the.oars is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2013   #4

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
GJ water rights should be sufficient enough that they had the right to damn the river above Palisade (probably above the Gunnison, really). And, they have done so in the past. In this day in age of conservation I'm sure they are compelled to let "fish flow" though what that is might be highly contentious. This information is from my Grandpa who grew up in GJ starting in the mid 30s. Of course, now the land with the rights are no longer under cultivation and the rights are held by separate interests (down stream, I'm sure). So, they probably don't have the desire to funnel off 100% of the rights into the irrigation system.
Old 04-12-2013   #5

GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by asleep.at.the.oars View Post
But the Gunnison is at 1000 and the Colorado at state line is 2000, so unless there's 900 cfs of irrigation run-off coming back into the river, that seems like an error. Anyone have a visual?
I have a visual and it's hard to believe. Places where there would be standing 4' waves at ~typical spring runoff wouldn't wet your ankles right now. I get that we're in a drought and they're filling all the upstream reservoirs, but that comes to your point about irrigation. It's all just running through the canals and back into the river (a few miles up from the state line) via Salt "creek" out of Highline Lake.

The Gunnison below its' diversion is running ~200: Enough to wet your ankles but probably not your calves.

If they'd sent the fish and other aquatic critters a memo to divert themselves into the ditches too, they might stand a chance.

On a side but similar note, I picked up a a Westwater permit for this Sunday. The Rangette I spoke with told me she had been briefed to tell boaters that the Colorado has already peaked for 2013.
mikesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013   #6
don't bogart that

Frosted Flakes N of Baytuckey, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Get ready for it

Municipal and Irrigation diversions are going to be ridiculous this year. It is too bad that we have a system built on use rather than conservation. BUT time they are a changin!
rpludwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013   #7

C. Springs, Colorado
Sounds like they are flushing the ditches to get ready for Spring.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Conservation for aquatic habitat in a water-short system isn't all that straightforward. Check out these guys: Colorado Water Trust. They are small for now and can't be everywhere at once, but they are growing steadily. This is the way you will get flows for the fishies.
Preston H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013   #9

montrose, Colorado
I am not exactly sure where the gauge is below GVIC, but it is pretty common for them to dry up the river at the GVIC dam. Not far downstream (I think about 200 yards) The Orchard mesa return flow comes back in and keeps the river from completely dying until the confluence with the Gunnison where a little trickle will flow in. Then the Redlands return comes back in a few miles down stream...ect... Finaly at Salt Wash the river is whole minus what soaked into the fields and evaporated.

If you want to know what protections are given to naive fish in a drought year just look up the motto of the recovery program...
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013   #10

Bozeman, Montana
When you hike up shit creek I find more water. Good luck guys if they can dewater the Colorado before it hits the pacific I don't see how they can't dewater it further up stream. Best of luck guys! Seems climate be shifting north so technically you guys are screwed for about another decade before we get another good dump like 2011
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote