Campsites between Diamond and Pearce Ferry? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-23-2010   #1

Nottingham, UK
Paddling Since: 1999
Campsites between Diamond and Pearce Ferry?

I'm on a canyon trip the first 3 weeks of June.

I'm concerned about the limited campsite options with the low water levels, as we plan to do a layover day during that stretch. Any suggestions on campsite options other than what is in the Martin Whitis map and Martin's "Day Hikes from the River?"

Any scouting and rapid advice is welcome as well.

Thanks

janetteb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2010   #2

Youve got several camp options between Diamond and Separation. The only desirable spot between Separation and the Grand Wash Cliffs is Surprise which youll likely have to share. Lots of folks prefer to night float starting at Separation. Surprise is a pretty side canyon, but you avoid the daytime helicopter flocks below Quartermaster at night.

As far as scouting, 232 mi, aka KFF deserves a look to convince yourself you dont want to ride the wave train like this boat does:
cadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010   #3

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 02
Once you pass surprise canyon there are no campsites until the beach below pearce ferry rapid. Just massive sediment banks. Check out travertine canyon. Travertine falls, and columbine falls. All amazing places. Most everything is read and run. Scout 232 river right. Watch out for the fangs I have seen them rip d rings off a raft and bend a frame. If you are going to southcove scout pearce river left. I haven't been down there yet this year but it was wild in November. Iceberg was also fun as it had a nice large wavetrain.
M0627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2010   #4

Not true, Scout Camp about a mile above Columbine Falls isn't a bad place to stay and the are a few beaches just above the PF ramp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0627 View Post
Once you pass surprise canyon there are no campsites until the beach below pearce ferry rapid.
cadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010   #5

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 02
Good to know. I have been doing diamond down a couple times a year, for the last four years. I guess always motoring from seperation and thoughts of PF rapid have kept my mind off scouring for camps in the sediment banks. I have always just gone from spencer or surprise to the beach below PF. Excited to get back and see how things have changed.
M0627 is offline   Reply With Quote