Camping Upper Colorado-Rancho Del Rio - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 07-09-2009   #1

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Camping Upper Colorado-Rancho Del Rio

Just a heads-up for all families thinking of boating the Upper Colorado. We did not find Rancho Del Rio a family friendly place to camp. The boat ramp is great and is cheap, however camping at the "Rio" was similar to re-living a college frat party. We experienced a sleepless night due to all-night party-ers, crude language, nocturnal frisbees, marauding free-range dogs, music(including a drum machine), and in general a lack of consideration for other campers. After our camping experience, locals told us, "The folks at Rancho Del Rio don't have a town drunk--they all take turns". This might be a great spot for the twenty-something crowd. But, if you have a family with younger children (or would like a good nights sleep before your launch) I'd suggest looking elsewhere for camping options.

freeagua is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2009   #2

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Yes everything you said is true. I have camped there many times, and is one of my favorate camp sites. The people in question are very educated and talanted individuals willing to help you or your family out 24 hours a day, if you ever need help they will always step-up.( unlike other locations I have camped at with so-called family friendly camping) I would suggest this spot to other rafters(campers) with a heads-up on the night life.
raymo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009   #3

Golden, CO
Paddling Since: 1856
Shocking

I don't think this is a big news flash. Just one look at the place and you can tell it is not some quiet "family" style campground. The outside bar in the middle of the place might have tipped you off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeagua View Post
Just a heads-up for all families thinking of boating the Upper Colorado. We did not find Rancho Del Rio a family friendly place to camp. The boat ramp is great and is cheap, however camping at the "Rio" was similar to re-living a college frat party. We experienced a sleepless night due to all-night party-ers, crude language, nocturnal frisbees, marauding free-range dogs, music(including a drum machine), and in general a lack of consideration for other campers. After our camping experience, locals told us, "The folks at Rancho Del Rio don't have a town drunk--they all take turns". This might be a great spot for the twenty-something crowd. But, if you have a family with younger children (or would like a good nights sleep before your launch) I'd suggest looking elsewhere for camping options.
FrankC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2009   #4

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
They should have a poster made up. DO'NT LAUGH YOUR DAUGHTER MAY LIVE HERE.
raymo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009   #5

Vail, CO
Paddling Since: 2008
Ranch Camping

Love that place...but then again...thats my kind of scene...

I would say, as a general rule of thumb, anytime you camp in an area with more than 7 - 10 tents set up...there is at least a 75% chance a few will be up till at LEAST Midnight.

So in a place like Rancho...where on an average weekend you'll see between 15 - 20 tents...its a safe bet that you will be awake till the wee hours..unless you OD on Tylenol PM.

"If you can't beat 'em...Join 'em" - Wise Man
Brotorboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009   #6

timbuktu, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
"not your usual resort" should have been a good clue.

Since that didn't work, KK's ranting, raving and ringing of bells as people drive by honking horns and hanging out of windows screeming, should have been a decent indicator!

Or perhaps Tee Pee Steve's "Don't tread on me" flag waving in the wind in front of his home that more resembles a smoke shack!? Since all that failed to tip you off?...

The little old codger with half a foot IE: "foot and a half" riding around drinking beer on his four wheeler should have caught your eye? Rancho is down right decadent most nights and way to much fun for civilians. We like it that way!

Try Radium or Pumphouse they will suit your fancy the next time your in the region!
yarmonymatoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009   #7
aka The Curmudgeon

Hopelessly Stuck in Yesterday, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Pumphouse is great! 10pm curfew, dogs must be leashed, they may not poop on the ground, and Hall Monitors performing bed checks at night. It's almost like camping, just none of the unpleasantness. You'll Love It!
captishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009   #8
aka The Curmudgeon

Hopelessly Stuck in Yesterday, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I almost forgot, Pumphouse doesn't have KK's Cheez Weenies, so it's just not quite perfect. You'll live longer, though.
captishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009   #9

Edwards, Colorado
I made the ramp at about 6:00pm on the 4th of July, after sitting out a nasty thunderstorm that swept through. The sun came out, there was mud everywhere and the place was definitely cranking up for a big night. Gunpowder and alcohol were already in play. Looked like it was going to entertaining, I was sorry to have to leave....

Rancho is an experience but I wouldn't necessarily suggest it for a quiet family camping experience.
SBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009   #10

timbuktu, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
My family and I camp in the area all the time. We generally stay on the river. When we do have land bound folk with us or the river sites are bound to be taken, we stay on BLM land. Once the family go's to bed, rancho always provides me with a late night outlet.
yarmonymatoid is offline   Reply With Quote