Camping Plans for MF Salmon Trip - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-22-2013   #1

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Camping Plans for MF Salmon Trip

My first trip on the MF of the Salmon is coming up next week. Looks like great water levels. We are planning on 6 nights/7days. How many miles would one plan on each day and where should I camp. Hoping someone has done the trip for this length and has an "ideal" itinerary. Any camps worth staying at for two nights? Many thanks in advance.

James

galljr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2013   #2

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
You only have to average about 15 miles per day...at the flows you'll experience next week 25 miles in a day is pretty easy to do.

You'll get a lot of suggestions for camps, everyone has their favs. But for layover days, try to get a campsite close (within hiking distance) to a hot spring. The camps close to Loon Creek are pretty popular, sunflower, hospital bar has a hot spring I really like...but might be underwater.

Can't go wrong...anywhere. Have fun!
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013   #3

missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
No layover days on the Middlefork. With a trip that long at spring flows you will only be on the water a couple hours a day! Classic camps are 1)whatever, 2)Marble Creek, 3)Loon Creek, 4) Camas Creek, 5)Survey, 6) whatever
Dr.charlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2013   #4

Nosebleed, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Camas Creek is a great layover camp. Great hiking, nice creek (runnable if you want to lug hardboats or duckies), nice tent sites. Have a great trip--we putin on the 12th and are hoping for water!
funrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013   #5

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.charlemagne View Post
No layover days on the Middlefork. With a trip that long at spring flows you will only be on the water a couple hours a day! Classic camps are 1)whatever, 2)Marble Creek, 3)Loon Creek, 4) Camas Creek, 5)Survey, 6) whatever
Not true. There is only one hot spring camp per trip and only one night after big creek but they will allow layovers otherwise
Old 05-22-2013   #6

Denver, Colorado
I was not aware layovers were allowed at hot spring camps, e.g. Loon or Sunflower. Has something changed? I liked Fire Island, Sheepeater, Pungo, Camas (say hello to the big tree for me, but watch out for the ticks), and Survey.

Also look here: https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...tes-41942.html
ridecats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013   #7

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridecats View Post
I was not aware layovers were allowed at hot spring camps, e.g. Loon or Sunflower. Has something changed?
Yeah, you can layover from the eveing to the morning. Only one night at a hot springs camp per permit. Period.
Old 05-22-2013   #8

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
Yeah, you can layover from the eveing to the morning. Only one night at a hot springs camp per permit. Period.
I think we are agreeing. To me, a one-nighter is a camp, and staying there two nights is a layover, which is (sensibly) not allowed at any of the hot spring camps, since everyone would like to enjoy at least one night at a hot spring, but not everyone can have even one.
ridecats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013   #9

Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
I scored two hot spring camps on a trip once. She thought one of them would be underwater(and nobody wanted it) but I knew better. Great trip. Scored Trail Flat and Sunflower.

FYI,sunflower is for a small group if you weren't aware..
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013   #10

p.c., confused
Paddling Since: 1978
MF camps

Trail Flat camp is a great hot spring but only below 4 ft. In my opinion the best hot spring on the trip because it is at the river. If you camp at Joe Bump you can hike down to Sheepeater hot spring, shallow but nice. Since you are only allowed one hot spring camp per trip duration I would take first Trail Flat if the water is below 4ft have lunch at sheepeater the next day and get in a soak and then camp at Big Snag. Then camp further down the next day around Marble camp, the next day stop at Sunflower and soak and then go to Shelf camp and hike up to Loon Hot Spring another great hot spring,(the Big Loon Camp is the hot spring camp). If the water is above 4ft well then try to get the Lost Oak camp across from Sunflower or Big Loon camp as your hot spring camp. Hippity Ho!
rivh2o is offline   Reply With Quote