Camping Pinball-dotsero - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-14-2011   #1

ChroniclesofGnarnia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 4/20
Camping Pinball-dotsero

Looking for possible car camping/tent camping on the Colorado river from pinball to dotsero, I know there is some BLM/pull offs/boat ramps off and on through that stretch just wondering if there is any car camping through there where we can fit 2 tents have a fire and possibly park one car and trailer. Also willing to bring all our gear in the rafts if need be. Been a long time since I've been through there. Any help would be great... Thanks.

jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2011   #2

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimr View Post
Looking for possible car camping/tent camping on the Colorado river from pinball to dotsero, I know there is some BLM/pull offs/boat ramps off and on through that stretch just wondering if there is any car camping through there where we can fit 2 tents have a fire and possibly park one car and trailer. Also willing to bring all our gear in the rafts if need be. Been a long time since I've been through there. Any help would be great... Thanks.

evidently wellens and lindajamison like to go camping in the true Aussie sense...
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011   #3
fat guy in a little boat

FtC / Rancho del Rio, Colorado
Paddling Since: 8AM
pretty sure there's a ramp and campsites at lyons gulch. its pretty close to dotsero. i think maybe like 5 miles.
never ran that stretch but have done a little research cause i wanna run it down to hanging lake sometime. someone who's actually done it would know better i'm sure

All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
- Spicoli
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2011   #4

Rifle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
pinball area camps

there is a relatively nice camp on river left below pinball. The river bends to the left then after a qtr mile or so sharply back to the right. Bull gulch comes in river left at this point,w/campsite there. be sure to park your boats upstream in the eddy and cmp out of the wash as the monsoon is still here. the campsite is away from the road. there is a car camp spot road right on a little point in the same area as you travel up from Dot. After the cheesy twin steel ibeam bridges start looking. its a primitive site,and if really wet could be slick. I like the bull gulch site best. other river camps are thin due to private land.
DrBigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011   #5

Thanks everybody!!!
Old 09-15-2011   #6

Summit County, Colorado
I believe DrBigDog is referring to Jacks Flats, which is one of the BEST campsites on the entire stretch of the Upper CO, in my opinion. You should definitely try to camp there and do some hiking. It is part of the Bull Gulch Wilderness Study Area and worth checking out for sure. Also, right after you launch the morning after camping here, below the little riffle on river-right is a cool cave. It's not huge, but pretty neat to check out as well. Enjoy your float!
summitraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011   #7

Sick thanks for the beta