camping near the ark - input requested - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-21-2004   #1

camping near the ark - input requested

heading out west from ga again this year. will the water in the ark last until mid june? looks like more snow this week.

last year we camped at ruby mountain. this year we were considering camping at collegiate peaks campground west of b.v. we were hoping for a little more room between campsites, etc. has anyone camped there? how does it compare to ruby? also, if you can remember, any particular sites better than others.

thanks much.

jim

[email protected]

gakayaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2004   #2

Ifr you are going to pay to camp, camp at an AHRA site! For upstream areas, my top reccomendation for camping would be any of the sites that appeal to you along the numbers section on river left off the dirt road that paralells this section. To get on this road, cross the river over the wooden bridge at rapid #5 (from main hwy to dirt road). There are sweet riverside campsites there (most are free), you have great views of 14ers, way fewer people than Ruby and its greener too (not so deserty).

Yes, we will have water in mid June. Some at least....
Meng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004   #3

Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1992
The Arkansas is one of the most reliable rivers here because it is a money maker and has plenty of diversions and reservoirs dedicated to keeping it running through summer. I think a good guess as to flows would be 1000cfs to 1500cfs. I think I paddled it at 1200cfs July 4th last year. As far as camping Mengs suggestions are good, I would just make sure to stake out your prime site well before the weekend rush.

http://www.co.nrcs.usda.gov/snow/dat...nplotark04.gif
badkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2004   #4

nice camping is to be found up along clear creek of the Ark. There is a dirt road that parallels clear creek as it climbs up into a nice valley. Clear Creek comes into the Ark about half-way between BV and Leadville. If you're heading to Leadville from BV you can see a small res on the left. Turn up the dirt road. Good camping starts about 4 miles up the road. Option may exist to run sections of the creek as well, should you feel so inclined.
De la Boot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004   #5

thanks for info

i failed to mention my girlfriend prefers not to have to do primitive camping. we can go elsewhere for shower's, etc. but the campsite needs to have a toliet of some sort. thanks.
gakayaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004   #6

Not a river guide, Ft. FunK
Ooh, well booo hooo, does she want someone to wipe for her too.
gapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004   #7

There's a hotel in BV, Lake Creek area and Leadville.
Clear Creek of the Ark is all car camp.
De la Boot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004   #8

There's a great campground about 30 miles east of Beuna Vista just off of 285. Its usually empty, plenty of space between sites, and, yes, toilets.
cstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004   #9

If your girl is that type of camper you might want to consider really pamering yourselves and heading up to Cottonwood Hotsprings, @ 8 miles up the pass out of Buena Vista. This way, you'll be close to the river, get to soak in the areas best hotpools (Cottonwood kicks ass) and have tiolets (flushing ones, oh my god!) showers, massage therapists and best of all 'private' hot tubs.
Meng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004   #10

Meng, how's are the campsite there?

it's kinda pricing to camp, $25 a head. are the sites nice/private - spacious?
gakayaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark