Camping near Carbondale - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-13-2011   #1

Idaho Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Camping near Carbondale

I'm heading down to Carbondale for the weekend and looking for somewhere to camp that is within walking distance of town...I've heard that you can camp at one of the put-in areas for the roaring fork?? anyone know where this would be?

Thanks,
Gavin

glcasson21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2011   #2
btt

might not be doable?

dont know about the other put-ins,but im pretty sure you'll see "no camping" posted at the "sutank" road put-in,just below the main town bridge.theyve leveled the parking lot,so its wide open;and they may have pulled the potty already.if you can chill inside your vehicle,overnite,you may be able to blend in the background cars,but i dont know about local patrolling.....

paid campsites in glenwood include NoName in canyon;Ami's Acres in west glen;one up the road to sunlight,etc.

any others,i dont know about?

public land is just hard to find,in that valley corridor.....

any c-daler's want to weigh in?
btt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011   #3

Silt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I think the town bought the campground above the ramp when they purchased the property. I think that it is self serve and is still open. If not you could head south out of town and there is a campground at avalanche creek, its maybe 5 miles down the road.
Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2011   #4

Redstone, CO
Paddling Since: 2000
Yeah the town does have the old RV campground now. I'm not sure what you're looking for in the camp site, but it might work for you.

To get there, just before the put-in, take the left fork instead of the right. It's right next to the intersection of Hwys 82 & 133, but you gotta take a road just down-valley to get there.
Kendarflugen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011   #5

Northern Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Good luck...

You won't find camping within walking distance from town so forget it-unless you've got an rv-type set up.

The best you can do is to maybe find a stealth spot along the crystal river at one of the pull-outs off the main road-or lurk up the dirt road from bone'dale towards mt. sopris trailhead.
Faucet Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011   #6

Wheat Ridge, 80033
Paddling Since: 2002
I created a google map with a few camping spots I know. Some of these were party spots back when I was in high school but you can also camp at them. I know of one more up by CMC Spring Valley but can't remember exactly how to get there. We called it Look Out. Right by a pond.

It is an open map so anyone can get in there and add spots, please do.

Camping Near Glenwood Springs - Google Maps
tmaggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011   #7

Idaho Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
thanks for the input everyone! Greatly appreciated. I'm just lookin for a place to park my truck and sleep in the back for a couple nights...hopefully free! Surely I can sail in under the radar at one of these places.
glcasson21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011   #8
Outdoor Recreation

Silt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
You can disperse camp in Bureau of Land Management public lands for 14 days, unless it is posted otherwise, as long as you are not residing there and you are recreating. The BLM asks that you do not create new roads or pull-outs, but use existing disturbed areas to disperse camp. If you build a rock ring, please make sure to dismantle it before you leave. Also please use Leave No Trace ethics, and carry out your toilet paper.

If you do choose to camp on BLM public lands, enjoy your stay.

-Bureau of Land Management
Colorado River Valley Field Office
2300 River Frontage Road
Silt, CO 81652
(970) 876-9000
BLM_CRVFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011   #9

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by glcasson21 View Post
I'm heading down to Carbondale for the weekend and looking for somewhere to camp that is within walking distance of town...I've heard that you can camp at one of the put-in areas for the roaring fork?? anyone know where this would be?

Thanks,
Gavin

The campsite is above the put in at Carbondale...make a right turn at Sutank on Hwy 82 before you head up the hill to Hwy 133. go straight down the little frontage road and it will fork...stay high and to the left...you will drive right into the campground. If you need a shuttle please call Charm Shuttles. we have been running river shuttles for 17 years here in the valley 970) 379-3966
charmshuttles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011   #10

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
camping near Carbondale...

Did you get my private message?
charmshuttles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carbondale