Cameras on the Taylor - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-11-2010   #1

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
Cameras on the Taylor

Did a couple of laps from South Bank to 5 Mile on Wednesday night. There was some talk going around that the Duke was in town, and that on tuesday night the Duke himself had harassed some private boaters doing some fishing after work. According to these guys, the Duke was madder than a skinhead on Martin Luther King day. Apparently, the Duke told them "to go to hell" as his parting words.

We ran it twice and spotted a few motion activated cameras set up in trees, and on bridges and buildings. We were even paid a visit by ol Don, the ranch manager, who was hollering and flapping his arms something fierce. He took our picture and made some calls, then hopped in his truck and met us down at the takeout. To my surprise, he was not there to sell us copies of the photos he'd just taken, but rather to snap a few photos of our license plates.

They did clear the wood from the bridge though, and we were able to get under it clean on both the left and right sides. If you go right, watch your head - they've installed some angle iron with sharp points on the bottom of the bridge. I wonder what for?

At any rate, it would appear at this point that they've decided to lay off the commercial boats and harass the private boaters instead.

If you plan to run this one any time soon, feel free to PM me and I'll give you all the info you need to get through clean, and perhaps catch some of the Dukes pet fish for dinner.

Big thanks to OutbackJack, boatenbert and a few other buzzards - see you next week guys.

-Slave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1518.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	2731   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1517.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	2732  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1515.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	2733  

slavetotheflyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2010   #2

Littleton, Colorado
I should add - the photo on bottom left is kinda crappy, but there's one of those motion activated game cams strapped to that willow tree. It's the black spot just above the fence line. We counted as many as 5 total, but there may well be more that we didn't see.
Old 06-11-2010   #3

Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
It is pathetic that these guys have nothing better to do than harass boaters/anglers. I was fishing through the middle a few hours after you on Wednesday and a Harmels waitress actually stopped her interactions with customers to run to the rail and photograph us floating through and fishing. We waived to her and told her to have a great day (I think it may have pissed her off).
wild bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2010   #4

Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
Unbelievable. This stupidity must be contagious....
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010   #5

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
So if "his" fish swim downstream into the Gunny does he hunt them down and cut their fins off?
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010   #6

Littleton, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensjustduckie View Post
So if "his" fish swim downstream into the Gunny does he hunt them down and cut their fins off?
That's an excellent question. I hope he does though, the Gunny is better off with out his pellet fed dogs.
Old 06-12-2010   #7

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Excellent recon Slave.

That's the way to do it, smile, wave, be friendly, and keep floating it.

I have to wonder about the legality of angle iron installed on the bridge with metal spikes!?! Sounds like a booby-trap intended to cause bodily harm!?!
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010   #8
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
I'm going over there again soon. I take out at South Bank but now I may float on down with cameras of my own rolling and get some video of this buffoonery for youtube.
Old 06-12-2010   #9

Littleton, Colorado
I'm going to try to get pics of the angle iron on the next trip, at a glance though, there appeared to be no earthly purpose for it.

Theophilus - don't forget to bring a rod when you go. If I'm reading the situation correctly, they're taking the position that it's okay to float through, but not to fish while doing so. After all, this issue never really was about rafting - it's always been about fishing.
Old 06-12-2010   #10
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
the ranch boss (who is there every day of the year) wont give your problems if you just float through quietly and shut your mouth, and keep your fly rod on your boat. if you be quiet and respectful, then they wont give you any shit. but the minute your drop your line into the water, you can expect the be followed and photographed.

i really dont get why it is such a big deal to you- how many miles of public, open water is there available to you above and below this stretch? and on countless other rivers across the state? So why do you have to come and ruin it for all of us? "making your point" and insisting on fishing is only making it WORSE, not better. youre not making a stand or making an issue, youre just screwing over other boaters. im tired of you people thinking the river is yours, and cant just deal with this. its plain and simple: float through, and keep your line off the water, and you wont be harassed. end of discussion. but if you just cant hold back and just have to be THAT GUY, and just HAVE to drop your line in, then you should expect to get photo'd, followed, and harassed. and i hope they bust your ass for it, because you fuckholes are ruining it for everyone!!!!

Tags
camera