California? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-01-2007   #1

Student
California?

Hey I was thinking about doing a trip in march to california and was wondering if there is any good water that time of year? And if so what rivers you might suggest doing?

millerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2007   #2

Asheville, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 98
First I'd pick up a copy of Holbeck and Stanley's guidebook and look at some of the options and decide what kind whitewater you're looking for.
Here's a link to buy that book

http://www.coloradokayak.com/The-Bes...=2&category=19

Also, go to boof.com for the California boater's forum and

www.caliproduct.com for the gnar.

there's lifetimes of kayaking opportunities out there. have fun!
Old 02-01-2007   #3

http://forums.boof.com/showthread.php?t=2471

tons of links and discussion on the lack of a snowpack situation in CA.
speicher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2007   #4
White R. BC

Durango, Colorado
March is the tail end of the rainy season in the NW so the Northern CA rivers may be running. Smith, Cal Salmon, Kalamath drainages. Have had great spring break trips with lots of variety, III, IV, V.

What are you looking for?

Also some of the central Sierra dam flow runs may be going. S. Am. Sacramento, and on north to Trinity. Usually too early for many snowmelt runs. April and May are better.
ag3dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007   #5

Student
well I was hoping for more of class III/III+ because I have only been boating for a couple of months. I wanted to go somewhere over break so that I can get some experience for this up coming season. I was leaning towards California or NC but if anyone has a better idea as to where I should go that be great!
millerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007   #6
White R. BC

Durango, Colorado
There is lots of Class III in way north Cali. My wife and I have done several spring break trips up there. We are Class VI boaters but stuck with more III-IV so if it was just the two of us we would be able to boat scout most everything. Wouldn't have to bank scout too much. The area is remote (I'm talking NORTH cali, San Fran is not north cali) so you can't count on hooking up with boaters on a weekday especially for class III. There may be people doing the 4-5 stuff, Nordhammer CG on the Cal Salmon is good for boaters.

The main Klamath below Yreka is II-III with 2 IVs and a VI for a hundred (?) miles. The Scott has a III section above the 4-5 part. Indian Creek from below Puppy Falls to Happy Camp is III. That is the first run we did there and after we left bikes in town and drove up and climbed down to the creek we saw lots of big steelhead and/or salmon in the big deep clear pools below the falls waiting for higher water. Just knew it wouldn't suck too bad.

Lower Clear Creek is III. S. Fk Salmon below Methodist Creek is III. N. Salmon and the main below Butler Ledge is IV. Trinity has some III runs higher up if you are going to jog around to the coast to ocean surf and head north to the Smith. South and Middle Smith (with a IV) have III runs, the North Fork is IV (V at high water).

Lets see, then head north along the coast to the Chetco near Brookings, OR and then the Elk, Coquille, Coos...

We have three weeks, how about you? Camping is great unless it is rainy which means there is water, maybe lots.
ag3dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007   #7

Durango, Colorado
Southern Cal.

I haven't checked CA flows, but the Kings is usually running near the end of March. Fun class III with great camping riverside. Also, the lower end of Dinky Creek is a 5 minute shuttle - class IVish and easy to scout/walk the harder drops. It meets up w/ the Kings so the take out is the same. The Kern might have some floatable sections if it gets warm early on also. Either way you'll be in the Sierras...win/win.
dugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007   #8

Chico, California
Paddling Since: 2003
It is pretty much impossible to get shut out in March out here in Northern Cali. Chili Bar (South Fork American) runs consistently year round and all the afforementioned runs SHOULD be going. You might even catch Pauley Creek which is about the easiest clean waterfall section around (no more than IV). Not to mention the whole Sac drainage (30 miles of II, III, and IV) and Box canyon is one of the best. Drop me a line if you end up heading this way, I am in Chico and there are always a few folks who can rally for a run.

ps. does anyone know how to make the jet stream shift?
rideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007   #9

Chico, California
Paddling Since: 2003
It is pretty much impossible to get shut out in March out here in Northern Cali. Chili Bar (South Fork American) runs consistently year round and all the afforementioned runs SHOULD be going. You might even catch Pauley Creek which is about the easiest clean waterfall section around (no more than IV). Not to mention the whole Sac drainage (30 miles of II, III, and IV) and Box canyon is one of the best. Drop me a line if you end up heading this way, I am in Chico and there are always a few folks who can rally for a run.

ps. does anyone know how to make the jet stream shift?
rideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007   #10

cali

hit up the lower elevation; you can always find good stuff in so-cali like the tule, kaweah, dinkey, kern, etc. remember, cali has tons o stuff at 2000-3000 ft above sea level.
Hydroholic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california