Cali Trip Advice - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-04-2012   #1

Logan, Utah
Cali Trip Advice

I'm looking at heading down to California this summer to visit some friends in the san jose area sometime in may or june. Of course I can't drive that far without getting a bit of boating in. Snowpack looks low, what rivers/creeks should be good? Creeks class 4 - 5- preferably, may do some playboating too. Just about anything between Oregon and LA will be considered.

BigLoopJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012   #2

ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
Google; dreamflows real time flow page
Then chase down the stuff that's high lighted in green when you get there.
I'm sure even with the low snow pack there will be stuff to boat in May and June. rain/ snow wise March has been good to the North part of the state...the further north the better. Also the Klamath Mtn and north Sierra areas with lower peak elevations the melt starts sooner then the high Sierra...May is usually very good.
pretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Buzzards have some good input, but the sites you want to be looking at are...

dreamflows
oregonkayaking.net (lots of cali stuff too)
awetstate
boof.com

Snowpack is lower in the south and better in the north. June is getting late, but may should still have some decent water I would think.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2012   #4

Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Darin McQuoid Photography

Enjoy. I haven't heard too much about flows yet, except that the Cal-Salmon is raging right now. Hopefully it doesn't run out..
Giggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012   #5

gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I spent a few weeks in northern Cali last year. I stayed at a friends place in Eureka, and there are many rivers in that area to paddle. We did a 4 day float on the eel river class III-IV. Wonderful trip but a very sketchy area. If you don't know anyone there, don't go. You might find your car broken into, or missing. The second river we hit up was the Trinity River. I believe it has all classes of rapids. This is not a sketchy area. Many other boaters, and I found free camping in a national forest that was north of the river, i think. I highly recomend this area if you are heading to Northern Cali as well. Enjoy.
thedojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012   #6

NorCal, California
Paddling Since: 91
South Fork American
Middle Fork American
Tuolumne
Merced
These should have a run and are fairly close to SJ, although it's looking like it's going to be a short season due to the drought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLoopJoe View Post
I'm looking at heading down to California this summer to visit some friends in the san jose area sometime in may or june. Of course I can't drive that far without getting a bit of boating in. Snowpack looks low, what rivers/creeks should be good? Creeks class 4 - 5- preferably, may do some playboating too. Just about anything between Oregon and LA will be considered.
Wavester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012   #7

Glen Vegas, Florida
Paddling Since: 92
Not to be a dick, but the guide book only recommends the middle american in case of emergency.
Also, you know your a rafter if you recommend the middle American.
Lived in NorCal for 8 years made it on the middle fork of the American zero times.
Pizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012   #8

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
In defense of the Middle Fork American, in a drought year like this, it is a dam release river with consistent flows for much of the summer (and it has one of the few waterfalls that I know of that goes in a raft but not in a kayak).

Pizzle is right, though. It is about 3 miles of whitewater and 11 miles of flatwater, and should only to be run in case of emergency. Although the snowpack this year might qualify.
jsyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012   #9

NorCal, California
Paddling Since: 91
The Middle Fork of the American is a classic run, and it's ran commercialy through out the Spring and Summer. You may have lived in NorCal for 8 yrs but you missed out on a great kayaking run. There's also a fun run on the North Fork of the American. Btw there's a lot more boating around here, I was just giving him a few of the classic day runs and places where I think there might be water in May/June. And you need a new guide book, here's a good site:
Rafting on the Middle Fork of the American River in California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzle View Post
Not to be a dick, but the guide book only recommends the middle american in case of emergency.
Also, you know your a rafter if you recommend the middle American.
Lived in NorCal for 8 years made it on the middle fork of the American zero times.
Wavester is offline   Reply With Quote