BV Town run beta - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-23-2007   #1
suigeneris

loveland, Colorado
BV Town run beta

Ok, curious about "silver bullet", "raft flipper" or the old diversion dam rapid as its commonly known. It is about the only stretch of the Ark I haven't run. I've heard everything from "go left", "run it right", "nasty hole with rebar and concrete", and even "hardest drop on the Ark".

I'll probably run it alone unless someone wants to paddle it on Wed/Thur. So, at this level because one apparently isn't able to scout it, which side do I point my kayak down?

thx

suigeneris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2007   #2

Vail Colorado
I ran it a couple weeks ago at @ 750 -800. Go Right and its a slidy chute into a foam pile and then some bigger boogie water after. It's definitly nasty on the Left and I wouldnt recomend going near it. There was plenty of flat water leading up and lots of time to pull off and scout from R. right.
spookylynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007   #3

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
We ran it this year at 1900cfs, so you might want to check with someone else whose run it at lower levels, but....

We ran the far right side, with a strong right-to-left move to miss a semi-large hole near the bottom. All of the rafts that passed by went over the left side for more action. Watch out for some rusted sheet metal stuck in the river-right rocks at the run-out of the rapid.

But again, this was 1900cfs....
funkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2007   #4

both sides of the river are private property. no scouting is available. the chute on river right is super easy. at this water level it is almost a cement slide. read and run. the last play feature in bv is more scetchy than anything. that stretch is super lame though. id go run something else.
catfishjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007   #5

Erie, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I ran down this on sunday after fractions. The chute is right as stated and super easy (just super shallow right now). Just be prepared to scrape and bump mulitple times on the way down. It reminds me a lot of the right boat chute on Boulder Creek.
CUBuffskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007   #6

The next zone, .
Most rafts choose to run left. The left is not that hard just run the middle right of the left chute. If you choose to run the left push right as there is a boulder at the bottom left. It is the only fun rapid on this section.

Also the lower BV hole is not the monster that some make it out to be. A couple of days ago I ran it in a tube with no problems. The upper hole at over 850 or so is super fun if the water comes up a bit. Super poppy loops. The next hole down is a fun classic class II surf spot.

If you are wonderin run the right chute just punch the hole at the bottom
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007   #7

RDNEK is a tuber.

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007   #8

Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Definitely no scouting!! About 8 years ago we stopped to scout this River Right (some newbies in duckies). @ old women approach us...one with baseball bat...one with a shotgun. Great conversation ensued.

We were tresspassing, but the newbies were just portaging along the river (high flows and big drop). We saw sheriff at the takeout, and he was awesome about the whole situation. Went back and yelled at them and then met up with us at the gravel pit camping. He also ran dump trucks back there.
ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007   #9

The next zone, .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENDOMADNESS View Post
Definitely no scouting!! About 8 years ago we stopped to scout this River Right (some newbies in duckies). @ old women approach us...one with baseball bat...one with a shotgun. Great conversation ensued.

We were tresspassing, but the newbies were just portaging along the river (high flows and big drop). We saw sheriff at the takeout, and he was awesome about the whole situation. Went back and yelled at them and then met up with us at the gravel pit camping. He also ran dump trucks back there.

Sing it with me - Ding dong the witch is dead, the witch is dead, the witch is dead. Well I dont think she is dead but she sold her place. New owners of that property - I dont know anything about them or how they will handle the property but ...... Ding dong the witch is dead

Count - you ever meet a redneck that does not tube?
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007   #10

Good point. All the rednecks I know fall into one of two categories: Tubers or those to fire shotguns at tubers.

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote