Buying a Kayak - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-23-2008   #1

Buying a Kayak

Looking for feedback on buying my first kayak, I own a raft and take it out quite a bit and am comfortable on class IV runs, and have been down most II/IV runs within proximity to Denver. I think I would use it more for running rivers then a play boat, any suggestions on boats?

mfavro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2008   #2

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfavro View Post
Looking for feedback on buying my first kayak, I own a raft and take it out quite a bit and am comfortable on class IV runs, and have been down most II/IV runs within proximity to Denver. I think I would use it more for running rivers then a play boat, any suggestions on boats?
if you still want a mix go with a wave sport fuze or a jackson fun series.
or the liquid logic down rivers. they still have some good play shape and would be great river runners.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008   #3

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2006
Demo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfavro View Post
Whatever you buy, make sure you demo several different boats. Some are better than others, but in the end you need to feel comfortable in it and there are a lot of different shapes of boats out there, some comfortable, some not.

That said, I've paddled a Jackson Fun series boat and think it would be a great option for you, if you want a comfortable river running play boat... if you want more of a pure river runner, with a slight creekish feel to it, try the new Hero Series... I have one of those as well and feel it is twice as comfortable and stable as my Fun.

Good luck!

j
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2008   #4

I just posted my Jackson 4fun; for sale in the classified section. Call me or PM me if you want to take a look. It is a GREAT all around boat, and the one I'm selling is in great condition. Check it out!
Old 07-23-2008   #5
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I agree with the above posters. I think something in the "river running- playboat" category is the best pick for your needs. The Jackson Fun series and Wavesport EZG series (I guess the Wavesport Fuse is the newest model in this category) are two good picks I have experience with. Something like a Dagger Kingpin would also probably be great for your needs. (lots of other manufactures have similar offerings - I think the Bliss Stick Rad is a nice boat) Make sure to check the paddler weight ranges and get the appropriate size.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Pyranha Recoils and Liquid Logic CR's are great boats. I have a CR 250 (6'2" 210) and do everything in it. I like to paddle class III/IV downriver, play at the hole and be really comfortable all day.

Depending on your size and weight, you could paddle a river/play boat (Fun,Recoil,Cross River,Fuse,etc) and use it as more of a river runner if you're on the light side of the weight range. If you are a bigger (heavier) paddler, river running play boats are going to be more playful and easier to get squirted.

Check this link out

What size are you?
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kayaking