Buttress beatdown - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-24-2005   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Buttress beatdown

A bunch of us ran from 4 mile down to 30th on Boulder creek last night.

The smarter folks swithched from the creeker to the play boat at the course. There is lots of good surfing at this level. You don't want to be stuck in your creeker through town.

The braver (dumber) of us ran from the top in lilttle boats. I almost always run buttesses clean in my play boat even at high water. Not the case yesterday. Got surfed in a hole way up top and proceeded to hit every successive hole with no speed, followed by a good ride. I believe I rolled 4-5 times over the course of that rapid. Not fun. Another strong boater swam his playboat out of a hole near the bottom. Forrest of course cleaned it in the Big EZ.

If you run this in your play boat be ready for some excitement, as that $hit is big.

Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2005   #2

Dave good to hear some things don't change. You going to head south for some big H20? Or maybe some Dolores floating?

Steve.
sward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005   #3

Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
Can't agree with you more Dave....

Took my 4fun down it the other day and was completely surprised how big that section gets at those levels. It really got me thinking about how great that creek really is to have in the backyard!!

Good to hear you didn't swim.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2005   #4

definitely stout in there. Ran it from about 8 miles up and then hit Buttress. All three in my group rolled in it for the first time since the hurricane days.........
Mattdjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005   #5
DP/ Cinematographer

DP - cinematographer brookaitken.com, Boulder
Paddling Since: 1978
Send a message via Skype™ to Brook
Thanks for the call guys!
Old 05-24-2005   #6
VI-

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Speakin' of the Hurricane days...I remember back in the day when the creek was runnin' high. 700 cfs in '95 if memory serves. Ran the Buttress section in my trusty Prijon 'Cane and got stood up on end immediately. Proceeded to wheelie the whole mess. Best creek memory ever. Also saw my pal swim the same section out of his Rockit. His shins looked pretty bad after that!
VI- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005   #7

Dave, What level did you guys run it at? I took a gander at 400 cfs and it looked pretty straight forward with no noticable holes. It looked big and burly but nothing too scary.
De la Boot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005   #8

Boulder, Colorado
I think it was 550, but not sure. I've run it plenty higher, I just got off to a bad start and never really caught back up.

Sorry Brook, call me anytime you want to take out somewhere other that at the put in.
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005   #9

OY! I have yet to see the air side of that section at any level!!

glad ya kept in it!!
redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005   #10

Basalt, CO Paddling Since: 2000
Running Buttress in a RPM

Hey a few years ago I ran buttress in my RPM and got worked, but it wasn't the boat just my inexperience.

What do you think about running it now with an RPM?

Haven't got the money for a creekboat yet and in my playboat I would probably get worked pretty hard.
boonecounty is offline   Reply With Quote