Bush's BLM: Big oil needs Desolation, you don't - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 10-31-2008   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Bush's BLM: Big oil needs Desolation, you don't

I'll restrain myself from using the kind of language proportionate to my rage at this small and destructive man, now lobbing another phony "energy independence" bomb at Desolation Canyon.

Bureau Proposes Opening Up Utah Wilderness to Drilling - washingtonpost.com

Quote:
The federal Bureau of Land Management is reviving plans to sell oil and gas leases in pristine wilderness areas in eastern Utah that have long been protected from development, according to a notice posted this week on the agency's Web site.
The proposed sale, which includes famous areas in the Nine Mile Canyon region, would take place Dec. 19, a month before President Bush leaves office. The targeted areas include parts of Desolation Canyon, White River, Diamond Mountain and Bourdette Draw.
The bureau has sought to open these public lands to energy exploration since 2003, though it had earlier classified them as having "wilderness character." But the agency has been repeatedly blocked by federal court and administrative rulings.
"Previous administrations proved that there can be a balance between wilderness protection and oil and gas development," said former bureau director Jim Baca, who served under former President Clinton, in a statement. "Unfortunately, the Bush Administration has worked tirelessly to appease the oil and gas industry no matter the cost to our national heritage of wild and untamed places."
Deso is one of the world's great places, as far as I'm concerned - they absolutely will not rest until it looks and smells like Houston.

Beardance42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2008   #2

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Drill, baby, drill... some sense into the heads of TeamMcBush.
DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008   #3

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
An article in the Post today said that Bush is trying to push through a bunch of regulations that will be hard to change once he leaves office. Lots of enviromental stuff if I remember correctly.
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2008   #4

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Do we as a nation want to decrease our demand for foreign oil? or do we continue to drill in the middle east, ask your self that to start it off. lets not be selfish now, we want to decrease foreign dependency but we don't want more drilling on our own land? do you own a vehicle, how many times do you fill her up a month?
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008   #5

Bozeman, Montana
by the picture in the article im positive zero rigs would be seen from the river and its a wasteland.

its utah anyways the mormans have already ruined the state.
Old 10-31-2008   #6

Durango, Colorado
I fill my truck up about once every month and a half. Used to be about 5 times a month. If I can do it, you can too!

The more we can reduce our demand, the less we need to import. If everyone tries to reduce demand where they can, we don't need any new drilling and we probably wouldn't need middle east oil either.

Bring on the Volt and other electric cars!
rivermanryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008   #7

over, all
Paddling Since: 1995
"we want to decrease foreign dependency but we don't want more drilling on our own land?"

Yes, you nailed it! Id like to decrease our dependence on foreign fuels and not open up more lands in the us to drilling and I can think of more than a few ways to start. This isnt a black and white issue unless your primary interest is lining the pockets of big gas and oil.
brooks8970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008   #8

Bozeman, Montana
BROOKS YOU ARE BITCHING ABOUT IT AND LIVE IN BOULDER HOW FAR IS THE COMMUTE TO DESOLATION CANYON?

currently there really hasnt been an increase in who drives cars that use greener technologies, so speaking literally the only way to decrease is to drive less or make cars that don't run on the shit. so if people like you are still driving to desolation from boulder you don't fit the nitch, so the next answer is to drill more oil to decrease foreign dependency. did i make it black and white for you since its really that fucking easy to figure supply and demand!

id make a bet boaters drive more than skiers and bikers put together.

sounds like the blm will be leasing the land so more money to the people who take care of the putins and take outs and more oil in the us which would help decrease foreign dependency as well as put gas in your tank so people like you can drive from boulder to hit desolation. sounds okey to me and im sure you can stand to look at a rig for 30 seconds as you drive by not that big a deal.
Old 10-31-2008   #9

over, all
Paddling Since: 1995
I live in Boulder so I can live and work in a community where I travel by bike everyday. Ive been to desolation a couple of times in my life and I hope to get back for a third and a fourth time but characterizing me as someone who drives there every weekend just doesnt fit the bill nor does it address the issues which you fail to recognize.

If there hasnt been an increase in the use of green automotive technologies perhaps its time to push for legislation which increases their availability and subsidizes their use....or we could keep subsidizing carbon fuels instead. Its no wonder this is such a close political race with people like you driving down the average american IQ.
brooks8970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008   #10

Bozeman, Montana
BROOKS IM NOTA BRAINIAC BUT IM SURE MOST AVERAGE AMERICANS CAN'T AFFORD TO DRIVE GREENER TECHNOLOGIES SPECIALLY WITH GAS AT UNDER 2.40 IN TOWN. ITS NOT PEOPLE LIKE ME THAT DRIVE THE IQ DOWN ITS PEOPLE LIKE YOU. YOU MAYNOT DRIVE THERE EVERYWEEKEND BUT SOMEBODY IS!
to be honest if anyof us were truely enviromentally savvy we would not drive to any creek besides public transportation or electric car, not happening.

70 percent of what the US uses and needs is imported. what do you think we should do now to decrease our demand for foreign oil? not drive ever again> looks like you won't see desolation that fourth time. brainiac out