burning question - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-05-2004   #1

burning question

I began yaking 2 seasons ago,and started out by teaching myself the eskimo roll. First I bought a video called the KAYAK ROLL that explaines A sweep like roll,and that never really worked for me. It seems like when I "bend forward" for the set up it kills my hip snap. I've been using the c to c roll on the river,but now and then that involves an unpleasant swim. Before anyone screams roll clinic let me say that I'm hell bent on teaching myself A reliable roll. So my question is what is the most common roll,and what advice would you guys recommend? I was at the river the other day sharing a hole with two other chaps. I noticed that they were using what I think is A back deck roll when I asked one of them what kind of roll he was using he replyed WHAT EVER GETS YOU UP!!!

marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2004   #2

Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
well...ok then

The roll you may be referring to is probably a "storm roll". which works until you get into a dicey spot with a thin bottom. The cliche "whatever gets you back up" is often true. No place or situation make require the same roll type. Sweep, C2C, hand roll, etc...whatever gets you up, gets you up.

The biggest thing you have to remember while learning and even using is to never panic or assume you have to make it up first try. The precious 2 or 3 seconds it will take to set up correctly and establish your underwater bearings is well worth it.

I cannot speak for others, but I will often only have one hand on my paddle while protecting me noggin with the other and feeling for when the bottom drops away (not something I'd recommend whilst creeking). As soon as I feel the bottom drop out, I'm up.

A good thing to practice are sequential rolls of all types and mixed. think of it as an exercise/ritual. This can save your butt and keep you from swimming. An example where this can pay off is a situation where you're jamming through a rapid where you're bouncing from hole to hole getting flipped and worked. I had this happen to me on Pinball in LTB. I got nailed by a hole and tongued wave, I rolled up pronto only to get slammed in another surprise hole and wave. Basically in the space of about 4 or 5 seconds I had to roll up twice. Not complaining... it was a hoot.

Lastly, a bomb-proof hand roll on both sides is a thing to have. there should be no such critter as an off-side roll in any paddler's inventory of skills.

Good luck and syotr
mvhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004   #3
River Gypsy

Swannanoa, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1986
i'll say it anyway-

ROLL CLINIC!

you cannot properly teach yourself a roll because you can't see what the hell you're doing right and wrong, and you don't know what exactly is right and wrong anyway. although you may have some success and come up most of the time, you will eventually find situations where flawed technique leads to swims.

it is FAR FAR FAR better to learn this skill correctly from a qualified instructor than it is to self teach improper form that can lead to swims or injurues from rolling. it will also be easier to learn proper form if you don't have to unlearn all the wrong things that you will end up teaching yourself without a clinic.

i know you're hell bent, but you're doing yourself a HUGE disservice by being so stubborn.

Leland
Leland is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2004   #4
gh

pnw, Colorado
agreed. roll clinic
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004   #5

Self Taught Roll

I'm a mostly self-taught kayaker - and I'd warn you that bad technique can cause pretty nasty shoulder injuries which might take you out for a season.
akahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004   #6

EJ's new video on rolling and bracing should be killer. He teaches any kind of yakker how to roll in 15 minutes or less, and it's pretty bombproof. And it's great enough of a method for you to pass on your rolling skills to others. He focuses on the back deck roll and hip snap, with the most emphasis on the hip snap.

I just found out (and it's posted somewhere here) that he's doing a clinic with Confluence Kayaks in Denver in a few weeks--I'd probably recommend doing that, or any other kind of clinic. Shoulder tweaks are not fun!

RA
ringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004   #7

You guys are so right about the roll clinic,but my real problem is my location.my best option is to hire an instructor for A day. ringer, were can I buy that EJ video?
Old 06-08-2004   #8

I found it! thanks
Old 06-08-2004   #9

agreed....

self-taught can be dangerous as can not knowing what type of roll applies for a given situation. broad knowledge and the skill to perform it can be learned from someone who knows and has the capability to teach it. Watching a video is okay, but will never make up for someone who has that knowledge.

Good luck, Marv
Old 06-08-2004   #10

agreed....

self-taught can be dangerous as can not knowing what type of roll applies for a given situation. broad knowledge and the skill to perform it can be learned from someone who knows and has the capability to teach it. Watching a video is okay, but will never make up for someone who has that knowledge.

Good luck, Marv