Building a C-1 - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-04-2012   #1

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Building a C-1

I'm turning an old Riot Booster 60 into a C-1 as a winter project. When I am placing the saddle, where is the optimal place to have your weight/hips in a boat with slicey ends like this?

Also if you have any other tips/tricks for making a conversion like this feel free.

DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2012   #2

other side, of the mountain
Paddling Since: 1994
The best way to figure out seat placement is to put the saddle/seat in loose and float test it. Slicey C1 conversions are touchy since they are designed with the paddlers leg weight taken into account. I find that having the back of the saddle 10" from the rear of the cockpit is a good starting point. Check cboats.net for c boat info.
Old 01-04-2012   #3

Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
Just so you know Smurf is kinda a guru when it comes to turning kayaks into C-1's. He has bought every broke boat I know of, patched it, and turned it into awesome C-1's.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2012   #4

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I've been doing some reading and found a conversion that uses a fence rail. What are your thoughts on this?
DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012   #5

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
It just depends what kind of outfitting you would like in your boat. I use dagger pedestals in mine now. They are easy to modify to fit the kayak outfitting holes. I have built them from scratch though using an old paddle shaft where your fence rail would go. I prefer thigh straps to lap belts so the dagger pedestals work well for me. You still have to go float test the boat for proper trim. I trimmed out my ez neutral and have to be careful to not reach too far forward on my strokes or the bow will start to go down.
Old 01-05-2012   #6

West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Hi C1ers,

I have converted a couple Pyranha boats. My current project is a Large Burn. You need to put it on the water to find the trim point, every boat is different.

With Pyranha boats, I have been using the plastic rail in the boat with a foam pillar and foam knee cups. I also prefer thigh straps. I cut a slot into and under the rail for bottom attachement and use the seat holes on the side. The advantage is you can make super comfy, tight outfitting and possibly a little lighter. The downside it takes some work and removing the knee cups will be hard, if I want to move it to another boat.

I use contact cement for direct fitting pieces and marine goop for squeezing glue into spots.

I have also been using very lightweight, simple 2" tension buckles with 2" webbing (non tubular). Wildwasser in Boulder has very nice thick webbing, marine goop and foam, I recommend them for supplies. Good to support our local company.

I will try to post a picture of my latest project.
Old 01-05-2012   #7

Here is the rail with cuts for the thigh straps

Here is the foam pillar

Here is Gizmo do some engineering

This is a lot more work, but it is kind of fun too. My wife loves the new furniture in the house all winter

I will try to post a completed picture tomorrow.

Cheers,
Old 01-05-2012   #8

sugarloaf, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Al ,
The cat is a poor saddle choice no matter how much you or your pet enjoy it.
boater Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012   #9

other side, of the mountain
Paddling Since: 1994
Fence rail converstions work just fine. I like the 5" square rail but most of the time the standard 4" square plastic rail fits better. I then glue 'knee spreader' foam on both sides (gluing it just to the rail) of the rail and then build up a seat. Its easy to add yakima adjustable footpegs to the rail, it you have room and are ok with the danger of foot entrapment it creates. Cutting slots into the front and rear foam pillars (if the boat has those) and forcing the rail to insert into them (you'll have to cut one end a bit more than the other so that you can insert them in both bow/stern). I do use a Dagger saddle most of the time, although I'm looking at creating a cheap alternative that will be really adjustable without having to move the whole plate within the boat to get your trip right or your saddle height the way you want it. If price isn't an option, a guy in California builds a super nice C-1 saddle out of kevlar/carbon fiber with snowboard straps for the knees and it adjustable. They run about $450 I think.. Nice pics above, the foam pillar looks really cool.
Old 01-06-2012   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by boater Q View Post
Al ,
The cat is a poor saddle choice no matter how much you or your pet enjoy it.
Boater Q, that cat rocks! Your just jealous, cause she won't give you the time of day.

Why don't you share your C-1 design, it also very nice and easily movable to another boat.