BUI

Jackson Hole Daily | Bikers injured; boaters jailed

billfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2012   #2

West By God, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1999
I read that today and was pissed. Does anybody know the boaters involved, or who called them in? Its not a crime to pull over on the side of the river. If the rangers only saw them on the side of the river, they may have a defense because who is to say that they didn't start drinking until after they pulled over? Also, BUI in GTNP is still .10, not .08.
Paddle Iraq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012   #3

Summit County, and Idaho
No crime in being on opposite sides of the river. Maybe someone had a swim. How did they get the blood alcohol level tested? Sounds like the raft guide turned them in?
I would fight this one if it were me.
Fallingup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2012   #4

Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
Here in Utah we have a group of kayakers that like getting hammered before running that river. (And many other rivers)I can't stand drunks on the river. Party after the run not a the Put In.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012   #5

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Why would anyone submit to a field sobriety test when you have the RIGHT to refuse it? "Am I legally required to submit to your request?" "No.. Ok then, I'd rather not. Am I free to go?"
teletoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
I think this is one of those isues that should be stautorily restricted to only apply if the said boater is or has created a disturbance or safety issue.

If you get so sloshed the rescue squad has to save your butt, yes, you should be liablet to pay for that cost and suffer legal consequences.

If your a competent paddler, know how to handle yourslef, and are out having a good time a well known strecth of river, I don't think the gov't has much place to setting riverside sobriety checkpoints!!
justinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012   #7
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster View Post
Here in Utah we have a group of kayakers that like getting hammered before running that river. (And many other rivers)I can't stand drunks on the river. Party after the run not a the Put In.
Party at the put in AND after the run. Come on Utah, get wasted!
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012   #8

Up shites creek, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by teletoes View Post
Why would anyone submit to a field sobriety test when you have the RIGHT to refuse it? "Am I legally required to submit to your request?" "No.. Ok then, I'd rather not. Am I free to go?"
You definitely have the right to refuse, but I'm pretty sure that in CO if you refuse the field test, it's an automatic 1 yr suspension of your license. I knew a guy from TX that refused when he was here in CO because in TX you can refuse with no issue. They took him to police office, left his car, where he blew below legal limit. But because he refused he had his license taken, and had to have his car towed to a friends house. Who knows if this guy told me all the details. He was a friend of an ex-gf, but he told me he declined and lost his license.
yesimapirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012   #9

Up shites creek, Colorado
Also, I read the Jackson Hole article. It leaves quite a few holes in the story. Biker rescued from undisclosed problem, biker rescued from injury, raft guide narcs 3 kayakers, park ranger arrests 2 kayakers, and Jackie Skaggs is gotta keep people safe. If I was drinking a beer on the bank with a boat in front of me, I don't think that qualifies as BUI. But my guess is there was bit more to it than just that. Maybe the guide got peed on as he floated by? Maybe the kayakers had 3 empty bottles of jack and 30 cans of PBR lined up in front of them? Maybe they were 3 off duty guides and the guy working was pissed that he was stuck with gapers instead of drinking with the other guys. At this point, can't say that we really know.
yesimapirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012   #10

SW, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesimapirate View Post
Also, I read the Jackson Hole article. It leaves quite a few holes in the story. Biker rescued from undisclosed problem, biker rescued from injury, raft guide narcs 3 kayakers, park ranger arrests 2 kayakers, and Jackie Skaggs is gotta keep people safe. If I was drinking a beer on the bank with a boat in front of me, I don't think that qualifies as BUI. But my guess is there was bit more to it than just that.
Maybe the kayakers were obviously drunk (i.e., couldn't walk without stumbling) and the tests just confirmed it.
H2UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote