Buena Vista Park Update... - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-30-2010   #1

The next zone, .
Buena Vista Park Update...

As the water comes down I thought a thread to update folks to how the park is at these levels would be a good idea.

At 1500cfs the park is still very good. The upper spot is sticky you can get out just know it is kinda stickey in there.

Staricase wave is great for the sup boards out there. I dont sup but the guys around here who do say it was almost made for a sup board. It is also a good class II kayaking spot to learn/surf on.

The next wave is starting to show her rock but the edges are still fun. The middle is a bit shallow so stick to the edges.

The south main hole is great for learning all the hole tricks. Slow enough that you can practice what you need to learn.

Finally the last wave - some call it lowdow while some of us feel she has earned the nickname bodacious...

Whatever you call it she is still great.. All the tricks can be pulled by the right person and the rest of us can have a great time just surfin and throwin blunts! If you have not got a chance to ride her you have to make it up. Not as rowdy as it was at 4500cfs when she was earnin that bodacious nickname - but still great.

As the flows drop I will try and get some pics and post to keep everyone updated as to how good the BV park is and right now it is still epic.. If you have some pics add them to this thead as we would all like to see em!

Advertisement

Old 07-04-2010   #2

The next zone, .
Good news is that the park is still great at 1000cfs!!!

And a quick vid to show what she was like yesterday..

Old 07-04-2010   #3

Arvada, 80003
Paddling Since: 2002
Until that hole kills a person and dislocates 100 shoulders there is no way it deserves the name BODACIOUS!!!
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2010   #4

The next zone, .
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKid View Post
Until that hole kills a person and dislocates 100 shoulders there is no way it deserves the name BODACIOUS!!!
Yea that was kicked around but bodacious never killed anyone and at above say 3500 cfs she is a big enough wave that many who came off were sayin man what a bodacious ride.. Also it was a bit like ridin a bull at that level where you just held on until she kicked ya..

Now for the update - the staircase wave is still perfect for surfin the sups and mellow enough to learn on so super fun.. The bodacious wave is still just great at 700 cfs and we will have these flows for another 5-6 weeks. So if you need a playboat fix come on up surf the hole and have a beer at the pub... I will get some vid to post of my session today if I get the chance.

The name also came from the primus (about bodacious) song and who was going to ride bodacious at 4500cfs... Not sure if you made it up and had the chance to ride it at that level but I can say that most boaters were giving her the pass as she did have a attitude at that level.. I was on it every day in there and can say that at high flows she earned that nick name!

So another round of thanks to Harv, the South Main crew, cks, and everyone else who helped make this park what it is.. Now that the water has come down we know that the BV park is great from 700cfs up to 4500 - Thanks again everyone!
Old 07-13-2010   #5

Still good?
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Yeah. The South Main Wave is pretty shallow and mellow, but the rest of the features are all still in and good.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010   #7

K.C., Mizzery
I want to stop by on my way to Denver. Think it will hold thru the weekend?
Deezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010   #8

Buena Vista, Colorado
Sounds like it:

BOR Update - Wednesday, July 14, 2010
As the native flow keeps dropping, we will continue to increase the project release to maintain the Wellsville gauge at 700 cfs.
Twin Lakes Dam - Wednesday, July 14, 2010, at 1200 Hours
Convert 40 cfs of native to a project run and physically increase the run by 30 cfs. This will increase the project run from 30 to 100 cfs. Maintain until further notice.

WaterFlow Announcements
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010   #9

Shit Creek, Colorado
You guys in Chaffee county have no idea how lucky you are. We were down for a long day last week, ran from Numbers to BV, played the park for a while and even with low flows it was still a great time. Your new park is very nice. Maybe we could get the guys who did the design and work on it to come up and fix Lawson......
Old 07-15-2010   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by powdahound76 View Post
Maybe we could get the guys who did the design and work on it to come up and fix Lawson......
It's the same company that destroyed Lawson...

NEK still waiting to hear from you, maybe I'll see you down there this weekend.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark, buena vista