Bruised Knees - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-13-2011   #1

bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
Bruised Knees

This is my first year of playboating...mostly just ran rivers before and did a little surfing. I am not very good yet but do try many different things. I notice that after a play session my knees are badly bruised inside and out especially on the right side. Is this normal?

brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2011   #2
Spits Hot Fire

N. Cascades, Washington
That's what she said.
Old 08-13-2011   #3

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
First off you have to use a pillow when kneeling for BJ's, this helps prevent the bruising greatly.

Seriously though, are you tight in your boat? If you're sliding around you will be slamming your knees into your boat and causing bruises.

If you're definitely snug in your boat you should try adding some extra minicell foam as padding where you are being bruised - sounds like the outside right of your boat? I can only boat my husbands Prijon if I add padding to the left side as my knee presses agains a bolt on the left and bruises me.
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2011   #4

Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensjustduckie View Post
First off you have to use a pillow when kneeling for BJ's, this helps prevent the bruising greatly.

Seriously though, are you tight...
You know I was gonna scold Flowtorch for scaring away women paddlers...assuming Brenda is female. The I saw this from JEN...come on be nice to the girl!

Brenda...these guys are just bullies and don't represent the large community of cool paddlers! If you're having knee trouble I suggest you "position" yourself in a manner in which to get the job (playboating) done to the best of your ability.
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011   #5

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Riiiiight Gannon, because the Buzz is totally where I go when I'm looking for on-topic polite responses...

If you're gonna throw that subject line out there you're going to get some smart asses responding
Old 08-13-2011   #6

bc, CA
Wow...never thought I had any sexual overtones in my post but what do I know...and Jen, I am very tight (in my boat that is) maybe too much so. It's not something I can't live with, I was just wondering if anyone else out there has this problem. Maybe I'll just shut my mouth now.
Old 08-13-2011   #7
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Thanks for chuckle of the day!
Old 08-13-2011   #8

Brenda - your knees shouldn't be bruising from playboating. Really hard to diagnose exactly what might be wrong, but it could be you are too tight in your boat and your knees are in direct contact with an unpadded sidewall. If you have a regular paddling crew (or even if you just connect with folks at a playspot), see if you can try their boats and see if the problem persists. What boat (and size) do you paddle?
Old 08-13-2011   #9

bc, CA
I paddle a Jackson 2010 Star. I'm 5'5" and 128lbs. so I should be the right size. I think I might be way to tight and maybe sitting too far forward. I'm going to Kelly's Whitewater Park at the end of the month so hopefully will get some good advice from locals. I'm really excited...have never been to a park n' play before.
Old 08-13-2011   #10

x, x
Paddling Since: x
the jackson boats thigh pads pack out quickly and because you are playboating more you are pulling on both sides of the boat more often than in river running and your knees might be digging pockets in the thigh braces.

look inside to see and if so i recomend 2 options, the first, and best imo.

wear a knee pad that is tight fitting like a wrestling pad or a support brace like at a drug store. they are both cheap, form fitting and protect your knees if you swim, look for the better least absorbent kind.

option b the more common is to add 1/2 inch thick padding to the thigh braces.

and

you want to be pretty far forward if not all the way when you playboat. the key is to control the boyancy of the bow and slice the stern.

have fun, as trebor once said if you ain't hurtin' you ain't squirtin'

playboating is painful, no shit.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote