Brown's vs. Upper/Lower Eagle - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-26-2010   #1

Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Brown's vs. Upper/Lower Eagle

How does Brown's compare to the Upper and Lower Eagle in terms of difficulty and length? It's been years since I have been down Brown's (And that was mostly as a passenger), so I am trying to guage both time and difficulty against something I know pretty well.

From what I have read, Brown's is mostly class III. I remember Zume Flume very well, how can you not I guess. Remembering it is one thing, running it another. LOL I recognize some of the other rapids and vaguely remember them. Is it roughly equivalent? A bit more difficult?

BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2010   #2

Lakewood, Colorado
I've only paddled the Upper Eagle once, but I think it is probably a bit more continuous and less technical than Brown's. Dowd Chute is way longer than Zoom, but similar difficulty otherwise. Personally, I would choose Brown's every time for fun factor.
mjpowhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
I agree that Brown's is more fun and technical than the UE. That said, I sure as hell wouldn't want to swim Dowd. The thought scares the shit out of me. That's a long ass run.
NolsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2010   #4

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Yeah dowd is a shitty swim. It was @ 3.5' on the sitck today Im sayn 5' by this weekend. when the shoot is @ 6' the upper eagle is a blast all the way to edwards. however, completely different river than the ark wider not as deep less swirly more rock dodgn.
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010   #5

North Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
How would a 16 footer fit on upper/lower eagle? I get it down Browns pretty easy above 1000, 750 is a little rough.
nicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010   #6

Thronton, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
...upper eagle is a blast all the way to edwards. however, completely different river than the ark wider not as deep less swirly more rock dodgn...
You're saying the Eagle is wider, shallower and less swirly than the Arkansas or the other way around? I assume I got it right, because the eagle isn't that deep anywhere! LOL

I should have clarified my original post too. I will be rafting it in a 14' oar setup. back in the day when my dad and I used to do it all the time, we were in a bit smaller oar setup (12' if I recall correctly). VERY fun in a raft that size.

I should also clarify my definition of Upper Eagle, given I am rafting in a 14 footer. I don't run the whole thing, only from Avon to Edwards. I am told (and believe it from what I have seen of it) that Dowd is not a plce to take an oar rig... LOL Never done Dowd, but want to one of these days (when I get some paddles and people to put on the smart end of those paddles).

Nicho - the 16' would be fine on the lower Eagle for sure, probably the Upper too at higher flows. We went with a friend that had one up there last year of that size on the Lower. I'd probably wait for higher flows in a raft that size (it was over 2,000 cfs when we went last year with the guy in the 16 footer), but it's probably not too bad even at these flows if it's not loaded up too much. We went last weekend in my 14' raft - Avon to Eagle County Fairgrounds - and scraped a few rocks here and there, dodged the rest pretty easily. The upper is a bit more rock dodging than the lower, but it's also a bit more continuous action (and shorter). It's a pretty wide river in most places, so there is room to manuever in most places.
Old 05-27-2010   #7

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I was with a group with a 16 footer this past weekend. It made it down the upper eagle with no problem. Porkchop has it right just different types of river. Brown is more we are coming up on "XYZ" rapid where the Eagle is more consistent water with more rock dodging.
Eagle Mapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilermakerU View Post
I should also clarify my definition of Upper Eagle, given I am rafting in a 14 footer. I don't run the whole thing, only from Avon to Edwards. I am told (and believe it from what I have seen of it) that Dowd is not a plce to take an oar rig... LOL Never done Dowd, but want to one of these days (when I get some paddles and people to put on the smart end of those paddles).

Nicho - the 16' would be fine on the lower Eagle for sure, probably the Upper too at higher flows. We went with a friend that had one up there last year of that size on the Lower. I'd probably wait for higher flows in a raft that size (it was over 2,000 cfs when we went last year with the guy in the 16 footer), but it's probably not too bad even at these flows if it's not loaded up too much. We went last weekend in my 14' raft - Avon to Eagle County Fairgrounds - and scraped a few rocks here and there, dodged the rest pretty easily. The upper is a bit more rock dodging than the lower, but it's also a bit more continuous action (and shorter). It's a pretty wide river in most places, so there is room to manuever in most places.
Done Dowd Chutes in a 12' and 16' oar rig cat. Great fun from 900 cfs to 4900 cfs.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010   #9

Thronton, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Done Dowd Chutes in a 12' and 16' oar rig cat. Great fun from 900 cfs to 4900 cfs.
Really? I have to keep that in mind then. Let me make it down Brown's first though. LOL

The other reason I haven't even considered Dowd's is that when I do the Eagle, I usually have my kids with me. I am comfortable with it at low to moderate flows that I can take them along. Dowd, not so much a kid friendly run. LOL

And no, I am not taking the kids on Brown's. Just a brave friend of mine...
Old 05-27-2010   #10

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
The outfitters run 16ft boats every day down the Eagle.
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote