Brown's or Royal Free of Ice? - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-07-2009   #1

Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
Brown's or Royal Free of Ice?

Anyone know if Brown's Canyon or Royal Gorge is ice free? Or mostly ice free? Planning on paddling one of the two on Sunday. Yes, I know its ski season, but I'm hoping to go to AZ to paddle in late Feb/March and I need to keep my skills up, and learn to paddle with weight in my boat.

Anyone care to join?

Josh

ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2009   #2

oh yeah
keep your skills up paddling brown's or the royal gorge without water? you may save time by just loading up your boat and walking it around your neighborhood. why not shoshone? or other sections of the colorado? or the platte? at least you'll paddle more than hike.

dan
danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009   #3

mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
Don't listen to danger. It sounds like he is one of those people who find as many reasons as possible to stay on the couch. Yes it will be boney, maybe you'll even have to hike around a few patches of ice, but it's doable. For a kayak you need maybe 2' wide and 6" deep to float...I think you'll be fine. Kuddos for your sense of adventure. (Danger, I don't think the lifeguards will be on duty till summer, so if you ever peel yourself off the couch, you might want to bring your floaty).
caseybailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2009   #4

oh yeah
oof, stinging retort! i'm not one to sit on the couch and wait for june. i live in salida for the boating and skiing. but paddling browns canyon with a loaded boat to get in shape for arizona is silly talk and the royal gorge is a dark, dark hole in the winter.

dan
danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009   #5

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
I don't know........the Gorge could have some pretty substantial ice dams....I know pinnacle to parkdale certainly does (or did a couple weeks ago)....and the Gorge certainly gets WAY less sun. Definitely floatable and I've run it at the current flow (330 or so)....still way fun. But I'd definitely worry about a few places with ice.....you should be able to walk around em though. Once spot I'd worry the most about is just above wallslammer where getting out and portaging isn't that easy.
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009   #6

Thank you Danger..

I was on Shoshone for New years and it was fun. But mostly cause I'm going to be in Alamosa on Saturday and then joining friends from BV on Sunday to paddle, staying on the ark makes the most sense.

There is 350cfs, walking Ice damns doesn't bother me, I was just curious on the status.
Old 01-08-2009   #7

Denver, Colorado
Josh -

I'd be interested in boating on Sunday.
I'd be happy to do Brown's, but I wouldn't do the Gorge. There's a ton of ice in there, and in some of those places where the walls come straight up out of the water and there's no bank ... yeah, that's a little scary to me with ice.
But I'd be happy to walk around a few ice dams on Brown's (or even Pinnacle to Parkdale, for that matter). I'd just like to get back in my boat. Six weeks out of it is too long.

Shoot me a PM with some final details on meeting time/place on Sunday.

-Mike
Id725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009   #8

gypsy, Colorado
Paddling Since: 02
definitely would be interested in paddling drove along the #ers road today and saw a few ice dams, we were even joking, serious about doing pine creek and or..... lake creek lots of hiking and car assisted, but brains paralyze right left line an dcauldron are all open.
BAER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009   #9

The next zone, .
Browns will have lots of ice dams.

A couple of days ago you would have had 3-4 portages just running the BV town run....

I would go south - parkdale and the gorge might be better.

They are pumpin Lake Creek but she is totally under the snow/ice until april or may. Does not matter what fked up guage reads....
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009   #10

Update:

NO ICE! None. no damns, 90% of the rocks even at river level don't have ice. Warm, sunny, no rafts, Sunday was a great day to be on the water. Heck the drive into Hecla Jct was the most challenging due to snow packed roads on the hills.

Planning to go again Sunday/monday if the weather is the same.

I'll take 10miles of good flows and paddle the whole thing over 10 laps on shosho or the sewage of the platte anyday!