Browns Canyon over 3,000? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-05-2008   #1

Browns Canyon over 3,000?

I am thinking about running browns canyon this weekend and wondering what it is like at current flows. I have never run it at anything near this level and just looking for some beta.

Thanks,

allgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2008   #2

Here's a good place to start:

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...html#post99678

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008   #3

There will be some pour-overs in Pinball to avoid. Zoom will have a huge hit over Pinnacle Rock at the bottom. You'll notice the photographers will be sitting further downstream than at lower flows to get pics of boats hitting the last drop. Don't get launched! Big Drop will be huge. Someone in another post said he'd never heard of a raft flipping in Big Drop. I'd say he hasn't been around long enough to see it at higher flows. Hit it hard and keep your crew paddling through it. The seven steps will be a blast right down the middle. Widowmaker will be mostly a wash except for one possible pour-over. Raft ripper will be a big hit. Hit it hard right down the middle! Left line will work at Seidel's. Twin Falls will be a big hit down the middle. Have fun and be safe!
jworthyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2008   #4

Colorado Springs Paddling Since: 1983
Brown's is pretty much a Class III run up until around 2900 cfs. The difference between 2500 and 2900 is significant. IMO at 2900+ cfs its a solid Class IV run, big and swirley. To me at those flows its quite a bit harder than say the Numbers at 1200. The Vee wave at the bottom of Zoom will bury you if you hit it, but it can be avoided on the right. Swims at Zoom tend to last a looong time.
Mike Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008   #5

Erie, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
anyone been down it the past few days now that its up to 3500? i can't wait to get there saturday
CUBuffskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008   #6

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jworthyco View Post
There will be some pour-overs in Pinball to avoid. Zoom will have a huge hit over Pinnacle Rock at the bottom. You'll notice the photographers will be sitting further downstream than at lower flows to get pics of boats hitting the last drop. Don't get launched! Big Drop will be huge. Someone in another post said he'd never heard of a raft flipping in Big Drop. I'd say he hasn't been around long enough to see it at higher flows. Hit it hard and keep your crew paddling through it. The seven steps will be a blast right down the middle. Widowmaker will be mostly a wash except for one possible pour-over. Raft ripper will be a big hit. Hit it hard right down the middle! Left line will work at Seidel's. Twin Falls will be a big hit down the middle. Have fun and be safe!
You can be conservative and avoid Big Drop on the right.
jacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008   #7

Erie, Colorado
thats what i've been told from others too is to sneak big drop since thats the biggest issue i guess
CUBuffskier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
browns, browns canyon